BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAS_Brizvegas
Fluorite | Level 6

I've recently moved from SAS EG 7.1 to 8.3 and have encountered the functionality where output data tables now 'unlock' after a certain number of minutes of inactivity (see photo below).

eda8766d-ebdc-4a10-b744-a4e15d0e66e3.png

This setting can be disabled by un-checking the corresponding option, or delayed by extending the minutes before it takes effect. 

Screenshot 2022-08-05 104650.png

My question is, what utility does this offer, and what impact might disabling the option have? For instance, if another program selects data from the output data table, will having the setting un-checked cause unintended results?  

I'm also confused by SAS' use of the term 'unlock'. The documentation  states that the unlock open data setting: "Specifies how long SAS Enterprise Guide waits before releasing the lock on an idle open data set. A data set becomes idle if you have had no recent interaction with it, including mouse moves, mouse clicks, edits, refreshes, or scrolling. The default value is 3 minutes

What does 'releasing the lock' entail? If the setting to unlock open data is un-checked, would that not imply the lock is always on? 

Any help is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you open a SAS table in EG's "View Table", a lock is applied by SAS to the OS (Operating System) file, the SAS table is stored in. That means another process cannot change or delete that file. For example if you try to run a SAS program in EG updating the table then it will fail with an error saying the table is open in another process.

The EG Unlock feature helps avoid this happening. The View Table can remain open, but SAS removes the OS file lock, so other processes can update or even delete the table, after the specified idle period. If you deselect that feature then the table will remain locked as long as your View Table window is open and other processes won't be able to update it. In my experience, this feature is very useful as when you are viewing the impacts of executing code changes you want to see that immediately in an open View Table window and not have to close and reopen it all the time to update it and then view the changes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you open a SAS table in EG's "View Table", a lock is applied by SAS to the OS (Operating System) file, the SAS table is stored in. That means another process cannot change or delete that file. For example if you try to run a SAS program in EG updating the table then it will fail with an error saying the table is open in another process.

The EG Unlock feature helps avoid this happening. The View Table can remain open, but SAS removes the OS file lock, so other processes can update or even delete the table, after the specified idle period. If you deselect that feature then the table will remain locked as long as your View Table window is open and other processes won't be able to update it. In my experience, this feature is very useful as when you are viewing the impacts of executing code changes you want to see that immediately in an open View Table window and not have to close and reopen it all the time to update it and then view the changes.

SAS_Brizvegas
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks very much SASKiwi! With that explanation and some playing around I've got a much better grasp on this. Cheers

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation