BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Wouter
Obsidian | Level 7

All, I maybe do have a simple question... In EG, I've created a prompt ("rep_date") in which a user can enter some number (date). This date I want to use in a query builder, as part of the name of a new SAS table (see picture in the doc file).

However, the table created doesn't contain the text as entered by the user, but the name of the macro (so the output table is called WORK.Test_&rep_date in stead of something like WORK.Test_31JAN2018).

Is there a solution for this, or is it not possible to use a macro var this way? A text based prompt doesn't work either...

I'm on SAS EG 7.12.

Thanks for the response!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wouter
Obsidian | Level 7

Yeah, got it now... Looks like a bug, or a very strange way to solve this (that is, in this version??). In the query, hit "Options". Now you'll see:

Output data:

Name: 'HHI_Cr_Institutions_&Rep_date'n

Label: HHI_Cr_Institutions_&Rep_date

Now, hit "Change", and hit "Cancel", and the "Name" will change, equal to the label. Now, click "OK" and don't run the query, just save it. From now on, it will pick up the macro variable...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

You can definitely use it in the manner. Can you detail how you created it?

What's the macro variable name and what did you get as output?

Many people can't/won't download attachments and you can include screenshots by using the photos button in the editor.

@Wouter wrote:

All, I maybe do have a simple question... In EG, I've created a prompt ("rep_date") in which a user can enter some number (date). This date I want to use in a query builder, as part of the name of a new SAS table (see picture in the doc file).

However, the table created doesn't contain the text as entered by the user, but the name of the macro (so the output table is called WORK.Test_&rep_date in stead of something like WORK.Test_31JAN2018).

Is there a solution for this, or is it not possible to use a macro var this way? A text based prompt doesn't work either...

I'm on SAS EG 7.12.

Thanks for the response!

Wouter
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, thank you for your answer. I've created the 'prompt variable' at the beginning of the project. When I want it to use later in a query builder (see also the picture below): the output name is: WORK.HHI_Banks_&rep_date, and the output table is... indeed called WORK.HHI_Banks_&rep_date...

PromptPrompt

First query in project where Rep_date is created by promptFirst query in project where Rep_date is created by prompt

The query builderThe query builder

Reeza
Super User

Dumb question, have you connected the prompt to the query so that it's selected or defined before the run? 

@Wouter wrote:

Hi, thank you for your answer. I've created the 'prompt variable' at the beginning of the project. When I want it to use later in a query builder (see also the picture below): the output name is: WORK.HHI_Banks_&rep_date, and the output table is... indeed called WORK.HHI_Banks_&rep_date...

PromptPrompt

First query in project where Rep_date is created by promptFirst query in project where Rep_date is created by prompt

The query builderThe query builder

Wouter
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, at 2 places now; one at the start of the project (ticked: "use prompt value throughout project) and now one at the query builder in question itself. Same outcome.

Part of the log:

NOTE: Compressing data set WORK.test_&REP_DATE'n increased size by 100.00 percent.

Compressed is 2 pages; un-compressed would require 1 pages.

NOTE: Table WORK.'test_&REP_DATE'n created, with 26 rows and 5 columns.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Looks like SAS is using the 'Table Name'n type syntax and the macro variable needs double quotes to resolve. Is there an option to change this behaviour?

Wouter
Obsidian | Level 7

Yeah, got it now... Looks like a bug, or a very strange way to solve this (that is, in this version??). In the query, hit "Options". Now you'll see:

Output data:

Name: 'HHI_Cr_Institutions_&Rep_date'n

Label: HHI_Cr_Institutions_&Rep_date

Now, hit "Change", and hit "Cancel", and the "Name" will change, equal to the label. Now, click "OK" and don't run the query, just save it. From now on, it will pick up the macro variable...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation