Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

SAS EG options configuration file

Contributor ckx
Contributor

SAS EG options configuration file

I would like to be able to start EG with a different set of options for LAN use versus remote use. I've found the EG startup options using "<path>SEGuide.exe /?" in a command window. The "/listoptions" option produces a long list of option settings that can be used as startup options. For example:

SEGuide.exe /option:autoDisplayGenDataOrResults=TRUE /option:graphDevice=ActiveX

Apparently, each option has to be set as a separate "/option" specification, I wasn't able to list several options separted by ";". Also, 1 or 0 didn't work as booleans, it has to be true of false.

However, the startup option I'm really interested in is the following:

/option:@AlternateOptionFileName - Specific an alternative options configuration file for use. Format: @"/Path/Name".

(It should be "specify" but this is what was reported in the startup options)

Unfortunately, I can't get the configuration file to work. I've placed some startup options in a text file and started EG with

SEGuide.exe" /option:@"\\<server>\private\jhendrickx\SASEG.profile"

This has no impact on the settings but did create a file SASEG.profile.xml. This file had the same contents as %appdata%\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\4.3\profile.xml. I tried modifying this file and using it as startup file but that had no impact.

So, has anyone else figured out how to get the startup file to work? There's no documentation I can find anywhere.

I'm using EG 4.3 with SAS 9.2 under WinXP.

Community Manager

Re: SAS EG options configuration file

You're correct - this process for command-line options is not documented.  It was added mainly to allow users to override certain options at startup, primarily for the use case of creating different shortcuts to the SEGuide.exe command for different purposes.  The syntax and "doc" is a bit "programmer-y", and so it's not a publicly supported feature.

If you want to give it a try, create a copy of the EGOptions.xml file WITH an XML file extension.  Change a simple option value in the file and launch the process like this:

SEGuide.exe /option:@"C:\temp\EGOptions.xml"

EG will read the options from the file, but it will might also overwrite the file (if it can) when you close EG (with any options that you change in the UI).

Here is another command-line option that you might also be interested in:

Using SAS Enterprise Guide with different SAS environments - The SAS Dummy

Chris

Contributor ckx
Contributor

Well, I gave it a try but it doesn't work for me. The settings are not read at EG startup but are written at EG shutdown. Either manually editing (in my case) C:\etc\EGOptions.xml or changing the settings with the GUI in EG makes no difference. If I change options in a session without using /option:@ then those setting will be used next time I start EG with /option:@ and those settings will be written to C:\etc\EGOptions.xml. Does this option work as intended for anyone else?

Occasional Contributor

I wish I could use this to connect directly to our netezza server when I open it like it does when I use base SAS Smiley Sad  All the data I use is there and I would like to be able to just select the table I want instead of pointing it to netezza each time...

Community Manager

Marilyn,

For that scenario, you might find the Autoexec process flow helpful.

You asked for it: the Autoexec process flow - The SAS Dummy

Or the Tools->Options->SAS Program->Submit SAS code when server is connected option.

Chris

Contributor SDV
Contributor

Thanks Chris.  This works for me.  I was able to make changes in a different EGOptions.xml file, specify it on the command line as described, and I checked the options via EG once it started to see that the different options I set where there. The changes surfaced in EG.

I could see creating a different shortcut for EG to start with the different options.

Community Manager

Great! Glad this helped.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation