BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ykishorereddy
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Seeking a help. 

I have a scenario whether , set of SAS EG jobs are being executed manually by users and wanted to schedule them via 3rd party scheduler.  

The SAS Server is on unix and SAS EG client installed on user machine , whether they execute the jobs, the reports output is stored in a windows sever. 

Can you pls help me how this can be accomplished?

8 REPLIES 8
ykishorereddy
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for the update. actually, we are looking for no disruptions to current operations . currently, users execute EG from their local machine and report results are in windows servers. so they wanted to have similar fashion.

so, im thinking of this
1. Have a windows server with SAS EG client and Scheduler agents installed
2.Place SAS EG job on Windows server
3.Invoke SAS EG from scheduler this inturn invoke SAS server on linux

Pls help whether this is right approach?
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

As @Kurt_Bremser said, easier way is just to export the code as .sas and the run on the server as a batch job.

However, I suspect your question is more around the outputs to a Windows path. With EG on Windows, connecting to and sending output to a Windows path is easy, since it's all Windows. But I think your challenge is running SAS on UNIX and then writing to a Windows path...from UNIX. Is this correct ?

ykishorereddy
Calcite | Level 5

Thats correct.   currently, the report output is being written to windows and users want the same way. if i go with unix route, i would either have change SAS EG jobs to change the desntination path from windows to unix.  thats reason, im thinking windows sever having SAS EG client as a middle layer for automation.  

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Do you have an enterprise file transfer utilty like XCOM or Connect:Direct ? You could then write to a UNIX directory and then have the utility move the file to a Windows directory.

Else maybe FTP ?

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

ConnectSmiley Very Happyirect  should read Connect : Direct

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

OR

Map a UNIX path to a Windows file share with Samba

OR

Install a SAS PC file server on your Windows server

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Personally, I would never involve Windows client software (EG) in production jobs that are scheduled. There are simply too many things in Windows that can break (.NET, VBS, ...)

In our setup, NO scheduling agents are needed on the UNIX server. All communication from and to the scheduler is done via ssh and sftp, and some custom shell scripts. Has been working like a charm for ~20 years.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation