Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

SAS EG Text to Date Conversion

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS EG Text to Date Conversion

Hi All,

I have a report that that i am importing to SAS in .csv format.  The date is in character format (Thu Apr 04 17:15:32 GMT 2013) and I need SAS to read this as a normal date time format.  The date and time are intermingled and I am not sure how to separate them and convert it to the proper date format.

I have been unable to find anything that will help me convert this.  I have tried many things... but the way the date comes out is odd and i can't get it convert over to datetime no matter what i do.  Does anyone know any tricks to do this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-06-2013 05:23 PM
Super User
Super User

Re: SAS EG Text to Date Conversion

Can't you just convert it yourself?

Say it is read in as a character string named TIME.

datetime = input(scan(time,3)||scan(time,2)||scan(time,-1)||':'||scan(time,4,' '),datetime.);

format datetime datetime19.;

If all of the records do not say GMT then you will need add some logic to adjust for time zone.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-06-2013 05:23 PM
Super User
Super User

Can't you just convert it yourself?

Say it is read in as a character string named TIME.

datetime = input(scan(time,3)||scan(time,2)||scan(time,-1)||':'||scan(time,4,' '),datetime.);

format datetime datetime19.;

If all of the records do not say GMT then you will need add some logic to adjust for time zone.

Contributor

Thank you for the help on this one.  If it were one or two entries i could most certainly converted them manually... however... i am dealing with thousands of entries per day, hence why i wanted SAS to do the converting for me.  I am not that great with these calculations, though i am getting better everyday.

Dean

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation