BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BRKS
Quartz | Level 8

When multiple data steps / sorts are run at one time in SAS EG, it would be great if the default table displayed in the "Output Data" tab was the last one run.  Sometimes I run programs that create intermediate data sets that are used to produce the final data set.  When I click on the "Output Data" tab, 99% of the time I would like for the final data set to be displayed as the default.  And because I work with large datasets (millions of records), I have to wait each time I click for a new data table for it to load.  Seems like a small issue, but if this could be done, it would increase my day's efficiency and decrease my waiting time frustration.

Thanks for letting us make suggestions!!!

Barb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm in a similar situation in that I work with many large datasets. My solution is to set the number of datasets to open to 0. This means nothing gets written to the Output tab, but I can just open the one dataset I want from the Server List. I find this works efficiently for me 

BRKS
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks SASKiwi!

Nice solution. 🙂

I wasn't able to find the option to set the number of datasets to open to 0. Can you tell me where that is in the menus & submenus?

Thank you so much!
Barb
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here is where you do it:

screenshot20.jpg

BRKS
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you so much!!!

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

We are going to try to handle this a little better in a future EG release by being a little more conservative about opening data -- or least providing one or more options to allow users to choose between the convenience versus the performance of automatically opening data.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

BRKS
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks so much, Casey! The setting that SASKiwi provided did exactly what I needed. But it is great that SAS is so open to its customers, and is continuously looking at how to improve performance! I love that about SAS!!
gusfryk01
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Casey, is there a solution to the original question?

I would also like to be able to see the last produced data set by default and I don´t see how the suggested solutions solve that. 

Henrik

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi @gusfryk01,

No, there is not currently a solution for always showing the last produced data set by default (when multiple data sets are created by a program).  You can accomplish it though by naming the data set you wish to appear such that it is the last one alphabetically.

Setting the "Maximum number of output data sets to add to the project" option to 0 prevents EG from opening any output data sets, thus avoiding unintentionally opening potentially large (time-consuming) data sets.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation