BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chetan3125
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi , 

I am a long time PC/Linux SAS user and finding diffucult to transition to SAS EG 7.1

I a few questions below. 

1. How to see the log in one window and output in other and keep the layout same ? I explored View > Workspace layout . But it changes randomly if I am working with multiple codes. 

2. I don't want to see the dataset after running the code. But EG directly shows me the dataset after running the dataset. Any way to suppress this ?

3. Can I change the shortcut for submitting code ? instead of F3/F8 i just want to use F1 to submit code. 

PC SAS had the intelligent feature to submit code so that only the selected code will be submitted for active selection else entire code will be submitted. F8 is kind of difficult to access. 

4. Can I submit code from clipboard in EG 7.1 ? I love NPP (Notepad++) and hate SAS editor. So want to submit code directly from NPP. 

5. Getting a strange message in log even if I submit  a small code. (%_eg_hidenotesandsource; as highlighted below. Is there any way to get rid of it ?

Sorry for basic questions. 

Annotation 2020-05-14 120649.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

I'd suggest you try to get your hands on EG 8.2, they are adding improvements for programmers (I don't have it yet, but I'm trying....)

1. I think workspace layout is your best option for this sort of functionality.  I think this is improved in EG 8.2, which is one reason I'm pushing for it.  Since the log isn't updated in real time in EG, I haven't missed having the log window open simultaneously.  I think in 8.2 there might be an option for more streaming of the log.

2. In Tools->Options you can uncheck "automatically open data..."  I also set maximum number of data files to add to a project to 0.

Quentin_0-1589547140231.png

3. I think the answer is NO, you can't reassign the function keys.  I hope they changed that in 8.2.  It took a long time for my fingers to learn F3, after years of using F5.  F3 does the submit highlighted code or else all code thing. 

4. Do you mean submit like a batch job from Notepad++?  Probably, but you'd have to script it to  upload the currrent .sas file to the server and then batch submit it, I imagine.  EG editor is an improvement of DM enhanced editor, IMHO.  With autocomplete, parenthesis matching, etc.  I'd give it a shot.

5. EG submits wrapper SAS code around each submission, by default it hides that part of the log (via that macro call you see).  The other option is to mark show generated wrapper code in the log, as above.  I leave that on, as it's nice to see what code was submitted.  Note, for example, that every submission ends with a magic string: ;*';*";*/;quit;run;.

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sustagens
Pyrite | Level 9
For your #2
Go to Tools > Options
Click Results > Results General
In the Managing Results section, untick "Automatically open data or results when generated"
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

I'd suggest you try to get your hands on EG 8.2, they are adding improvements for programmers (I don't have it yet, but I'm trying....)

1. I think workspace layout is your best option for this sort of functionality.  I think this is improved in EG 8.2, which is one reason I'm pushing for it.  Since the log isn't updated in real time in EG, I haven't missed having the log window open simultaneously.  I think in 8.2 there might be an option for more streaming of the log.

2. In Tools->Options you can uncheck "automatically open data..."  I also set maximum number of data files to add to a project to 0.

Quentin_0-1589547140231.png

3. I think the answer is NO, you can't reassign the function keys.  I hope they changed that in 8.2.  It took a long time for my fingers to learn F3, after years of using F5.  F3 does the submit highlighted code or else all code thing. 

4. Do you mean submit like a batch job from Notepad++?  Probably, but you'd have to script it to  upload the currrent .sas file to the server and then batch submit it, I imagine.  EG editor is an improvement of DM enhanced editor, IMHO.  With autocomplete, parenthesis matching, etc.  I'd give it a shot.

5. EG submits wrapper SAS code around each submission, by default it hides that part of the log (via that macro call you see).  The other option is to mark show generated wrapper code in the log, as above.  I leave that on, as it's nice to see what code was submitted.  Note, for example, that every submission ends with a magic string: ;*';*";*/;quit;run;.

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
chetan3125
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks Quentin for detailed reply. Appreciate your time.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm using EG 8.2 and can confirm:

1. The layout options are far better than in EG 7. You now have the tabbed layout similar to SAS Display Manager.

3. The function key for submitting code cannot be changed in EG 8 either. However if you select code with your mouse and press the Run button it will now do a selective submit just like SAS Display Manager. You don't have to use F3.

5. I don't think there is any way to remove that macro call from the log. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation