Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Retain character format when exporting to csv

N/A

Retain character format when exporting to csv

I am trying to export a $16 that is actually all numbers to .csv but on opening the file the string is exported as 3.0297E+19. I cannot export to exel as I do not have the facility. Is there a work around for this?
Community Manager

Re: Retain character format when exporting to csv

Posted in reply to deleted_user
Is this related to Enterprise Guide or are you using PROC EXPORT? And from your message, it wasn't clear whether you don't have Excel or you don't have SAS/ACCESS to PC File Formats.

If using Enterprise Guide, you can do a "Send To Excel" (assuming that you have Microsoft Excel), and EG will automate Excel and populate a sheet with the formatted values. This does NOT require SAS/ACCESS to PC File Formats.

You can also Export data to an xls file from EG. That also does not require the SAS/ACCESS product.

Chris
N/A

Re: Retain character format when exporting to csv

Posted in reply to deleted_user
for credit card numbers into excel, as text, see earlier posting in the forums at

http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=6&threadID=530&messageID=2028#2028 .

That started with numeric data, but the excel interpretation doesn't see the source, only the text passed along with the parameters for handling the string

Peter
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation