For EG 4.2:
I've seen the %symdel in the log as well and couldn't find a way to prevent EG to add this deletion of the macro var.
The "work around" which worked:
- Add a program node before your query.
- Add the prompt to the program node (I called it "Test").
- Create in the program node code like: %let retainTest=&Test;
- In the Query builder use &retainTest (not as prompt value) instead of &Test
The results of some quick testing, after setting up the prompts the way Richard described, this is what I saw:
1) If it's run from an ordered list or the top of the process flow: I was prompted once for the macros (there were three in this project) at the very start and the macros were used and resolved in all of the other nodes without further prompts.
2) If I ran the project "node by node" manually, it will put a prompt up in every node that uses one of the macros.