BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PoulRavn
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I use EG61 and also for some purposes SAS JMP 11. I have found, that from SAS JMP, I can access a SQL database sitting on a server. It looks as if JMP uses a ODBC type access to the database. I would perfer to do it from EG61, but the connection mechanism seems to be different. I am not able to set up the ODBC data source, but should I use SAS/Access instead. Is it correct, that there are such differences?

Regards

Poul Ravn Sørensen

10 REPLIES 10
PoulRavn
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry, I should have mentioned: The SAS installation is on a remote server. It is 9.3.

Regards

Poul

PoulRavn
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, both are on Windows. My local JMP is on win7. I am not 100% sure about the remote machine though. What could the choices be? What should I look for?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Like the modules for accessing RDBMS's, SAS/ACCESS to ODBC needs to be licensed.

So you either need the license for ACCESS to a) ODBC or b) your RDBMS.

WIth a), you need the ODBC source configured on the SAS server, with b), you need the DB client installed and working.

A workaround is to open the ODBC source in Enterprise Guide and import the data via EG, but this is considerably less performant (concurrent in/out transfer on your desktop machine)

PoulRavn
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, implicitly I think my question is answered like this: Yes, there is a difference between the way SAS JMP and EG61 connects to a SQL database. Whereas JMP connects via an ODBC mechanism which must come with the complete JMP installation, EG needs extra modules that must be licensed.

Regards Poul

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

run a proc setinit;run; with Eguide and you will the SAS server and modules that are licensed. Licensing with Eguide is server based with the SAS installation on that server.

Eg has no additional modules, it is just a very nice terminal approach.  The SAS DI/BI Server installation can possible need additional licenses Still there is is the option to use (limited read-only) ODBC resources defined on your desktop that will upload data for further processing.  http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/058-2007.pdf

Open in the processflow open menu's (alt mouse button). Below choice open there is a list.  Data - program --- Exchange , OleDB, ODBC Other

As it doing an upload it warns you can better user SAS/ACess when having above 10.000 rows locally

---->-- ja karman --<-----
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You can use File->Open->OLE DB from SAS Enterprise Guide and connect to SQL Server -- but that's not the most efficient method.  I've outlined some of the approach in this thread (about Oracle data):

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
PoulRavn
Obsidian | Level 7

HI again, I agree that I can connect to the database as such. In JMP I can write some quering statements that are performed on the table. However in EG I just import the whole of the file. Seems a little overdoint it when what I want do do is exactly to query the database using some sql statements.

Regards

Poul

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I agree -- it's often overkill to import the entire table, which is how File->Open->OLE DB works.  SAS/ACCESS to OLE DB or ODBC is a better option if you have the modules available.  There is a short primer on this concept here:

26178 - Efficient Data Access using SAS Enterprise Guide

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation