BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisW75
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,
Is there a way to prompt the user to enter parameters in SAS/EG without using Stored Processes (we have no metatdata repository defined yet) and without using a query?
I have a report which I built using the coding window that I want to hand over to a user to run, but don't want him to have to change the macro variable paramteters manually.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
It just so happens that this exact feature is coming in Enterprise Guide 4.1, to be released Very Soon Now. You can define parameters at the project level and associate them with queries, tasks, and even your own SAS programs. When you run these items, EG will present a prompt for all of the applicable parameters.

And when we say "parameters", we're just using a fancy term for SAS macro variables -- so the mechanism should be very familiar to you.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I'm looking forward to this feature. I think it will be of particular use when sharing projects between individuals, or deploying some analysis methodology to a group (stored processes are not (yet?) flexible enough to avoid having to send someone your .egp file).

What you also need to be able to do, however, is set a project to be Read Only.

Is that in 4.1 (or even have I missed it in 3.1)?
deleted_user
Not applicable
Can user be prompt for parameters even when the project is run as a scheduled project ?

Isa
deleted_user
Not applicable
I'm not sure why you would want prompting for a scheduled project.

Surely if it is scheduled, it is intended that it will run at a given time, at which time there may not be someone present.

I use scheduling to get work done during quiet hours, to spread out the workload across the whole day. If it prompts at 2am, who will be there to see it?

Have I missed the point of your question?

Kind regards

David
deleted_user
Not applicable
I know my request might sound strange in the context you presented.

I am using the scheduler in an other context, which is to replicate a "batch submit" in traditional SAS. The reasoning for this utilisation is to get a date/time stamp for my logs and output that does reflect run time instead of start of EG session. Therefore, someone will be sitting at the PC when the sas project actually runs.

Perhaps an option could be set-up to choose weither to prompt or not, with default set as No.

I guess its not present in the current version...

Thanks for helping my clarifying my question

Isa
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Regarding "read-only projects"...

If you protect the EGP file using the file system (make it read-only, or store it in a location where those who access it cannot write to), then the project is - in a sense - read-only.

You can run the project (which modifies it with updated results) and add tasks/etc, but you cannot overwrite the original EGP file.

If you're looking for a "browse-only" mode, where you can only look at the contents of a project but not add or run anything, EG doesn't have that. We would be interested in hearing whether there is interest in that and how you would use it.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
SGF work kept me from reading this earlier Chris.

I think a browse-only mode would be useful where a project is used to build compliance reporting which has to be locked at a given date.

Kind regards

David

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation