Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Pre-assigned libraries

Frequent Contributor

Pre-assigned libraries

I have access to some libraries in SAS EG with yellow color in background. There are some other libraries

which have white color and when I try to open them or when I right-click and choose Assign, I recieve an error message:

An unexpected error has occurred.

The library could not be assigned by the SAS server.

As a beginner in SAS:

Could you tell me that how someone as a SAS administrator can change them so he can have access to them like other libraries with yellow background?

How pre-assigned libraries can be used in a SAS program?

Thank you.

Doriana

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Pre-assigned libraries

Right-Click, choose Properties, then Engine. There you will see the physical path of the library.

You can then check (or have checked by the server administrator):

• does the directory (folder) exist?
  • does the userid you used to start the workspace server have the proper permissions (access privileges) for this directory?
  • is anything else wrong with this directory?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

• Yes, there is a folder.But I cannot change the properties because there are many other users who use this folder and I can only change properties to my ID. If there is any way to do this?
  • I'm not sure if my ID has a proper permission for this directory. How can I check it? In management console what should be changed about my ID (and where)?
  • Nothings wrong.
Esteemed Advisor

How did you check that the folder exists?

I ususally use some SSH client (like PuTTY) to log on to the server, then do a cd pathname to the directory in question, and try a ls (UNIX, on Windows use dir) there. This verifies that I have the necessary permissions (read and execute in UNIX)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Esteemed Advisor

Having pre-assigned libraries or not, is an architectural/design decision, which your administrator should be able to discuss.

Also, if a change to pre-assigned is ok for your site, your administrator should be the person who know (and does) that change.

Data never sleeps
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation