Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Permanently Change WORK folder location

New Contributor

Permanently Change WORK folder location

Hello,

Is there a way to permanently change the WORK location from my C drive temp folder to another folder say on a shared drive? Or a different hard drive?

Cheers,

Super User

Re: Permanently Change WORK folder location

What is the reason for wanting a different location for the work library? T

New Contributor

I am dealing with large data and the temporary files are eating up my HHD space to the point that I run out of space in some instances.

So my choices are (1) Buy a bigger HDD. (2) Change the WORK folder to a network that has the space. (3) Buy a server version of SAS which is very expensive.

Option 2 seems the easiest and cheapest by far if doable.

Super User

If you have access to a network drive then create a permanent library there and just remember to use the LIBRARY.DATASET notation in code or point to the library as needed. If you can map a drive letter (Windoze) to the network location then creating the library is easy after mapping the drive letter:

libname mylib "X:\"; for example.

Just make sure that the drive and the library are available to your projects.

Note that network drives may have performance issues depending on traffic.

Super User

Before run you code , add this line .

Or you could add this line in AUTOEXEC file .

options user='d:\temp\';

Super User

Note that you'll be giving up significant speed if you start working off of a network drive versus your local HD.  Especially if the files are big, you are effectively reading and writing a large amount of data across your network. 

Rather than a permanent setting, I would recommend using the user library option that @ksharp has recommended.

If you set up a library with the name user, SAS treats that as the WORK library instead of work, and you don't need to use a two level (libname.dataset) naming system.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation