Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

PROC Logistic vs GUI

Reply
N/A
Posts: 0

PROC Logistic vs GUI

I'm doing some logistic regression analysis in EG (4.1), and was just wondering if anyone knew the difference between using a code module that calls PROC LOGISTIC and using the EG window-based method. I know the EG method just generates a PROC LOGISTIC call, but from a quick look at the help files it seems that there are a few options that aren't incorporated into the GUI. Is there a concise list of which options are only available if I write the code myself?
Valued Guide
Posts: 2,111

Re: PROC Logistic vs GUI

The short answer is "no." I've never seen one.

The EG GUI pretty much follows the 80/20 rule for the statistical procedures. You can do 80% with the point and click interface and you need to add code for the remaining 20%. A few of the very complex procedures (MIXED, for instance) have much less than the 80% functionality in EG.

The EG developers did put the hooks in so it is easy to add most of the functionality that is not in the point-n-click interface. From within the task, click "preview code" and then click 'insert code.'
N/A
Posts: 0

Re: PROC Logistic vs GUI

Of course, I forgot about the code hooks. Of course, it still requires you to know or be able to learn all the bits of PROC LOGISTIC anyway, but that's not necessarily a bad thing (after all, it's good practice to know how your code is doing what it's doing, instead of just blindly hoping that it will do it right).

Thanks for that!
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 92 views
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation