BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Stephane
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I have only EG 4.3 on my PC and a remote server. I imagined that I cannot open a local table located in my c:\document and settings because I don't have a local server. But It works, I have the shorcut of the table in my project. I think it uses a Windows API.

But after I use the query builder on this table to check that my SASAPP cannot see this table (because it is located on my C:) and I can. I don't understand.

the Code submitted by the wizard is the following and we see that my local table is now in my work with a different name !

%_eg_conditional_dropds(WORK.QUERY_FOR_AIR_SAS7BDAT);

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.QUERY_FOR_AIR_SAS7BDAT AS

SELECT t1.DATE,

t1.AIR

FROM WORK.air8810 t1;

QUIT;

Do I have to understand that EG execute silently an upload that let it to execute the query ?

Is there something written on that in the documentation ?

Thanks for your help.

Stéphane.

EG43.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Stephane
Quartz | Level 8

LOL

I have found the explanation. So it uploads the data...silently.

http://communities.sas.com/thread/1075?tstart=0

Thank you Chris :smileyblush:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Stephane,

EGuide is part of a client server architecture in SAS.  EGuide itself can do some things (like open files to view and send e-mails as part of the project and these might use your local drive), but it can's run the tasks themselves (almost all of the tasks require the SAS server).

You might be able to map your local C-drive to the server (perhaps with UNC naming), but you will probably need the help of your network support to set that up.

I'm not sure if there is a nicely capsulated summary of what EGuide does itself and what requires the server for the processing.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Stephane
Quartz | Level 8

that's right it cannot run a SAS statement without a workspace server. I know it can run some Windows API especially to import the external data and send email.

But my test was simple, I opened via the Files>Open menu, a SAS table and as you can see it executes my query builder on my SASApp based on a table in my work.

Stephane
Quartz | Level 8

LOL

I have found the explanation. So it uploads the data...silently.

http://communities.sas.com/thread/1075?tstart=0

Thank you Chris :smileyblush:

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Yes, EG uploads it on your behalf.  A subtle cue when looking at your project -- if the table name is lower case in the process flow, it's probably a file reference to a sas7bdat file (rather than a library reference).  Use the Data->Upload task to control the process more.  It's also much faster to upload the data this way than to let EG copy the data implicitly.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Stephane
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Chris.

As I'm writing a paper on the different ways to open a data with EG, I was writing the advantages and limits of the use of the FIle > open menu and I imagined that a local table could not queried by a remote server if the server does not see the path of this table. that's consistent when you think of the old principle of SAS/CONNECT.

I was puzzled / gobsmacked when I directly queried the local without to have uploaded it with the Upload wizard (as you can see the snapshot in my first post).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation