BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RobertWF2
Fluorite | Level 6

The SAS EG process flow map for my project is driving me crazy.

Our project has about 10 programs we run in sequence, but there are so many data tables generated by each program that I'm constantly scrolling from program to program (which is very slow) rather than simply clicking on the program.

Is there a way to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FloydNevseta
Pyrite | Level 9

The short answer is no. There is not a simple option to prevent the process flow from displaying all of the generated data sets. However, there are some strategies to make large, complicated flows more manageable.

1. Alter how the process flow arranges the steps in the flow. By default, the process flow arrangement is set to "Auto arrange" which causes process steps and data sets to be vertically aligned in the order created. The example in the screenshot shows 2 steps that generate 5 data sets each. I chose 5 to keep the examples small and manageable, but one can already see how the default arrangement can quickly get out-of-hand.

image.png

If you uncheck that option, then you can move your steps and data to the top of the process flow in a horizontal arrangement like in the next screenshot. This shows 3 steps the generate 10 data sets each, but each step in the process flow is easily accessible without scrolling.

image.png

2. Link steps in the process to take advantage of the ability to run the entire flow (or parts of it) to completion with a single click. In my 3-step example, I link Step 1 to Step 2, and Step 2 to Step 3. With all of the steps linked, I can right-click on Step 1 and run the entire process by selecting "Run from selected item".

image.png

This next screenshot shows Step 2 actively running (green) after Step 1 completed, and Step 3 (yellow) is queued up next to run.

image.png

To link a step, right-click on it and select "Link to". Another dialog will open to choose a step or data set to link to as shown below as I link Step 1 to Step 2.

image.png

Hopefully these tips help.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
FloydNevseta
Pyrite | Level 9

The short answer is no. There is not a simple option to prevent the process flow from displaying all of the generated data sets. However, there are some strategies to make large, complicated flows more manageable.

1. Alter how the process flow arranges the steps in the flow. By default, the process flow arrangement is set to "Auto arrange" which causes process steps and data sets to be vertically aligned in the order created. The example in the screenshot shows 2 steps that generate 5 data sets each. I chose 5 to keep the examples small and manageable, but one can already see how the default arrangement can quickly get out-of-hand.

image.png

If you uncheck that option, then you can move your steps and data to the top of the process flow in a horizontal arrangement like in the next screenshot. This shows 3 steps the generate 10 data sets each, but each step in the process flow is easily accessible without scrolling.

image.png

2. Link steps in the process to take advantage of the ability to run the entire flow (or parts of it) to completion with a single click. In my 3-step example, I link Step 1 to Step 2, and Step 2 to Step 3. With all of the steps linked, I can right-click on Step 1 and run the entire process by selecting "Run from selected item".

image.png

This next screenshot shows Step 2 actively running (green) after Step 1 completed, and Step 3 (yellow) is queued up next to run.

image.png

To link a step, right-click on it and select "Link to". Another dialog will open to choose a step or data set to link to as shown below as I link Step 1 to Step 2.

image.png

Hopefully these tips help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation