Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

NOTE 49-169: The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS release

Contributor

NOTE 49-169: The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS release

Hi team,

I am facing an issue in SAS EG like as mentioned in the subject line. I am posting again in the below.

NOTE 49-169: The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS release. Inserting white space
between a quoted string and the succeeding identifier is recommended.

Please help me to resolve this issue asap.

Thanks for your help.

Harish

PROC Star

Re: NOTE 49-169: The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS rel

[ Edited ]

if you can show the code or give some more info then someone will help you. This is a very common error and reason for the same is discussed in below link

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Base-SAS-Programming/quot-NOTE-49-169-The-meaning-of-an-identifier-af...

Super User

Re: NOTE 49-169: The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS rel

Since strings like

'01jan1960'd
'08:30't
'01jan1960:08:30'dt
'0d0a'x

have special meaning (date, time, datetime, hex-code literals), SAS alerts you that a string immediately followed by other non-blank characters might also get some special meaning in the future (like '664'o), and could pose a danger. Closing quotes should therefore be followed by blank space.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation