Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Multiple regex query

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Multiple regex query

Hi, I'm working with some banking data containing IBANs, and would like to use a list of regular expressions (using SUBSTR and PRXMATCH) to extract them from text strings. I've tried creating a separate table containing the regex, for example ‘/AL\d{24}/’,
 '/AD\d{20}/’, ‘/AT\d{16}/’, '/LV\d{2}\D{4}\d{13}/', and then bringing that in as a column to query against the data, but am getting no results. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this? Current PRXMATCH expression is:

PRXMATCH(t2.Regex,t1.TextcolumnwithIBAN)

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎10-27-2017 10:29 AM
PROC Star

Re: Multiple regex query

[ Edited ]

still it is not very clear to me what code you have tried. But if you are using multiple values you need to use a pipe not a comma.

comma

‘/AL\d{24}/’,'/AD\d{20}/’, ‘/AT\d{16}/’, '/LV\d{2}\D{4}\d{13}/'

pipe

‘/AL\d{24}/’|'/AD\d{20}/’| ‘/AT\d{16}/’| '/LV\d{2}\D{4}\d{13}/'.

View solution in original post

All Replies
PROC Star

it will be easier to help, if you can provide an example/sample of what is not working and what your output should look like

Occasional Contributor

Sure, I've attached a short representation of the two tables, and the desired output from the PRXMATCH statement.

Thanks, Ian

Solution
‎10-27-2017 10:29 AM
PROC Star

[ Edited ]

still it is not very clear to me what code you have tried. But if you are using multiple values you need to use a pipe not a comma.

comma

‘/AL\d{24}/’,'/AD\d{20}/’, ‘/AT\d{16}/’, '/LV\d{2}\D{4}\d{13}/'

pipe

‘/AL\d{24}/’|'/AD\d{20}/’| ‘/AT\d{16}/’| '/LV\d{2}\D{4}\d{13}/'.

Occasional Contributor

With the two tables I attached, I created a query within Table 1, added Table 2 to the query, and then added a column with the advanced expression PRXMATCH(Table 2.IBAN Regex, Table 1.Text Column). There are just under 70 IBAN types but I suppose using the | divider would work, and then I could extract countries from there.

PROC Star

| means or

Occasional Contributor

This should work fine, I was being lazy and trying to get countries linked in through a table join

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation