BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Kaladhan
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello fellow SAS users,

We have users who execute SAS code in Enterprise Guide 5.1 to connect directly to databases, instead of using librairies and profiles setup for them in management console.

We would like to know which databases are used this way and which accounts are used to connect.

We do not have a repository of SAS source code, meaning that our users are free to store them wherever they want (even their PC). I can't just scan SAS code for the information.

We also have people who manually execute code that they didn't write. So asking users will not give us a complete answer to this question (although it could answer part of it).

I've looked online for a solution, but can't find anything. Anybody has a lead that could help me?

FYI, our EG is on UNIX, if that matters.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

That's EG logging normally only used for troubleshooting EG problems.

The sort of logging I was talking about is SAS server logging and it's a lot of work to set up if you don't have it already. Here is a link to get you started:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biov/69018/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0n6mp9320vobun1x0pw1...

Really I think you should talk to your DBAs as databases collect stats like this as a standard activity. You would probably need to identify all of the SAS user accounts to filter the database connections but I wouldn't think that would be a lot of work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Unless you have SAS activity logging installed and running I think you are out of luck from a SAS perspective. Your database administrators should have monitoring stats on users connecting so I suggest you check with them.

Kaladhan
Fluorite | Level 6

With 200+ users and 40+ databases in various technologies, monitoring the databases seems like a lot of work to put in place.

I'm looking into SAS logging at the moment. I found this of interest:
http://support.sas.com/kb/17/730.html

I'm thinking of centralizing all of the user logs on the network so that we could dig into it for an answer.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

That's EG logging normally only used for troubleshooting EG problems.

The sort of logging I was talking about is SAS server logging and it's a lot of work to set up if you don't have it already. Here is a link to get you started:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biov/69018/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0n6mp9320vobun1x0pw1...

Really I think you should talk to your DBAs as databases collect stats like this as a standard activity. You would probably need to identify all of the SAS user accounts to filter the database connections but I wouldn't think that would be a lot of work.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I'm afraid I have to agree with Kiwi on this. Regulating access to data in the databases is a DBA job. Let me give you a quick example; even if you could find the SAS users accessing them, and manage them, I could simply use Excel or raw SQL to pull data out of the databases, and then access those results with SAS.

It's the database accounts and passwords that are the only effective choke point.

Tom

Kaladhan
Fluorite | Level 6

In our case, we don't care if the users access the data outside of SAS, for example with TOAD, Excel or the like.

The issue with asking DBAs is that it will have to include a lot of red tapes as it involves an oversea team. It will take months to be put in place. I'm not sure the amount of effort required is worth it.

Regarding the logs, it looks promising, but I'm not sure we want to dabble with our users PC. There could be consequences to doing that.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation