Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Keyboard key sequence to save program to a file

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor SDV
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Keyboard key sequence to save program to a file

I looked in the help for EG 7.1 that lists the keyboard shortcuts but could not find one for saving my program to an external file (not the project) via a key sequence.  I was told that Ctrl-Shift-S would do it, but it doesn't work for me.  Is there a short-cut sequence for this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-23-2015 05:51 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Keyboard key sequence to save program to a file

New programs start as "embedded" programs (they are stored in the EG project).  Embedded programs aren't saved independent of the EG project, so when you "save" an embedded program (Ctrl+S) you're really saving the EG project.  You can convert an embedded program to an externally referenced program (.sas file) by doing a Save As on the program (ex. File->Save Program As... (Alt+F, E) or Save->Save As on the program toolbar).  At that point, it is an externally referenced program -- the code is physically saved in the external .sas file instead of embedded within the EG project.  Externally referenced programs should be able to be saved via Ctrl+Shift+S (I confirmed it works for me in EG 7.1).  If Ctrl+Shift+S isn't working for you, you should be able to use the menu mnemonics (Alt+F, V) to accomplish.  (If Ctrl+Shift+S isn't working for you, perhaps another application is capturing it.)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-23-2015 05:51 PM
SAS Super FREQ

New programs start as "embedded" programs (they are stored in the EG project).  Embedded programs aren't saved independent of the EG project, so when you "save" an embedded program (Ctrl+S) you're really saving the EG project.  You can convert an embedded program to an externally referenced program (.sas file) by doing a Save As on the program (ex. File->Save Program As... (Alt+F, E) or Save->Save As on the program toolbar).  At that point, it is an externally referenced program -- the code is physically saved in the external .sas file instead of embedded within the EG project.  Externally referenced programs should be able to be saved via Ctrl+Shift+S (I confirmed it works for me in EG 7.1).  If Ctrl+Shift+S isn't working for you, you should be able to use the menu mnemonics (Alt+F, V) to accomplish.  (If Ctrl+Shift+S isn't working for you, perhaps another application is capturing it.)

Contributor SDV
Contributor

Awesome information!

My program had not been saved outside of the project yet.  That was the issue.

Thanks Casey!

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation