BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

I have been joining several tables one step at a time as I build my project (e.g., table A to Table B; Table C to Table D; etc.).  I am at the point where I am joining those table to each other (e.g., Table AB to Table CD, etc.).  Below is my code for two of those tables and the results are good.  However, I use the exact same coding all the way through and on other tables and I get the join but the volume of lines result in about 1600 more lines than the two table combined contain.  I am not sure why and have been looking for a reason.  Any thoughts? 

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.QUERY_JOIN7(label="QUERY_JOIN7") AS

SELECT /* REFERRED_DATE */

(IFN(t1.REFERRED_DATE<>.,t1.REFERRED_DATE,t2.REFERRED_DATE)) FORMAT=MMDDYYS10. LABEL="REFERRED DATE" AS

REFERRED_DATE,

/* STATE */

(IFC(t1.STATE<>" ",t1.STATE,t2.STATE)) LABEL="STATE" AS STATE,

/* PRODUCT_TYPE */

(IFC(t1.PRODUCT_TYPE<>" ",t1.PRODUCT_TYPE,t2.PRODUCT_TYPE)) LABEL="PRODUCT TYPE" AS PRODUCT_TYPE,

/* LOB */

(IFC(t1.LOB<>" ",t1.LOB,t2.LOB)) LABEL="LOB" AS LOB,

/* REFERRAL_TYPE */

(IFC(t1.REFERRAL_TYPE<>" ",t1.REFERRAL_TYPE,t2.REFERRAL_TYPE)) LABEL="REFERRAL TYPE" AS REFERRAL_TYPE,

/* VOLUME */

(1) FORMAT=BESTX10. LABEL="VOLUME" AS VOLUME

FROM WORK.QUERY_JOIN5 t1

NATURAL FULL JOIN WORK.QUERY_JOIN6 t2;

QUIT;

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

You're not 'joining' use an APPEND Task instead.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

A brief example may help:

data one;
   input a b;
datalines;
1 1
1 2
1 3
2 4
2 5
;
run;
data two;
   input a c;
datalines;
1 1
1 2
3 3
2 4
2 5
;
run;

proc sql;
   select one.a, one.b, two.c
   from one natural full join two;
quit;

Two data sets of 5 records and the join has 11 in the result because it includes values from the second set that do not have a match under the "natural full" join.

Perhaps you want to specify

proc sql;
   select one.a, one.b, two.c
   from one natural  join two;
quit;

Note that "full" is not present.

Without seeing some example data and the desired result it is hard to be more specific.

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks ballardw.  I tried your suggestion with the following code.

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.QUERY_FOR_QUERY_JOIN2_0000 AS

SELECT /* STATE */

(IFC(t1.STATE<>" ",t1.STATE,t2.STATE)) LABEL="STATE" AS STATE

FROM WORK.QUERY_JOIN2 t1

NATURAL JOIN WORK.QUERY_JOIN4 t2;

QUIT;

However, now I get way too few lines of output (2030 when I should have 61,266).  Not sure where I am going wrong.

Reeza
Super User

In general you get 'more' records when you have duplicates along your join variables. 

So run a proc freq on the join fields in each table and see where you have duplicates. If you have two in one table that matches with two on another table you end up with 4. 

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Reeza...I understand what you are saying and that is what I want (essentially merging the two tables (both have the same columns) together.  However, when I join them the 2 + 2 = 5 rows of data instead of 4.

Reeza
Super User

Can you post an example, simplified that replicates your issue?

Also, you should look up the COALESCE() function, it's easier to work with IMO. 

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

I am really trying to get the natural full outer join (the output rows include all rows from both tables and rows that do not have a match are filled in with missing values).  This has worked fine in my earlier joins, but is giving me extra rows of data in my later joins.

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

I have tables A and B below.  I want to combine them to get table C below.

Table A

REFERRED_DATE

STATE

PRODUCT_TYPE

LOB

07/04/2016

WI

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/04/2016

KS

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/04/2016

OH

CLASSIC

AUTO

Table B

REFERRED_DATE

STATE

PRODUCT_TYPE

LOB

07/06/2016

MN

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/06/2016

MN

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/06/2016

AZ

CLASSIC

AUTO

Table C

REFERRED_DATE

STATE

PRODUCT_TYPE

LOB

07/04/2016

WI

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/04/2016

KS

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/04/2016

OH

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/06/2016

MN

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/06/2016

MN

CLASSIC

AUTO

07/06/2016

AZ

CLASSIC

AUTO

Reeza
Super User

You're not 'joining' use an APPEND Task instead.

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Reeza...you are correct!  Sometimes being too close doesn't allow one to see the forest that is right in front of one!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation