BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
swamy
Calcite | Level 5

When joining multiple tables in EG, I noticed the code generated uses a 'where' option when the all the types are 'inner' . If there's atleast a 'Left' (or 'Right') join then the SQL generated does use a 'Join' rather than a 'Where' logic which is significantly faster. Is there anyway to force EG to generate a 'Join' logic rather than a 'Where' for all inner joins?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The two queries are sorting the output differently.  Can you test if that explains the performance difference?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Not sure I understand the differences you are trying to describe. Can you provide examples?

I am not sure if it really matters as I suspect that the different methods might both end up doing the same underlying steps because PROC SQL optimizers your queries.

swamy
Calcite | Level 5

Here are the two SQL Statements:

SAS EG generated code as seen in 'Preview'

PROC SQL;
   CREATE TABLE tbl_output AS
   SELECT DISTINCT t1.keyID AS keyID,
          t2.EventID AS EventID,
          t2.Date_Begn,
          /* YY_QQ */
            (DATEPART(t2.Date_Begn)) FORMAT=YYQD6. LABEL="YY_QQ" AS YY_QQ,
          t3.Field1 AS t3Field1,
          t5.Field1 AS t5Field1,
          t4.Field1,
          t4.Field2,
          t2.status_value
      FROM dbo.table1 t1, dbo.table2 t2, dbo.table3 t3, dbo.table4 t4,
           dbo.table5 t5
      WHERE (t1.EventID = t2.case_id AND t2.ntype_id = t3.EventID AND t2.EventID = t4.key2 AND t4.t4key = t5.EventID) AND
            (t2.Date_Begn >= "&begdt:00:00"dt AND t2.Date_Begn < "&enddt:00:00"dt AND t5.Field1 IN
           (
           'Value 1',
           'Value 2',
                      ) AND t2.status_value = 'Complete' AND t3.Field1 = 'Distinct')
      ORDER BY t1.keyID, t2.EventID, t2.Date_Begn, t3.Field1, t5.Field1, t4.Field1, t4.Field2, t1.status_value;
QUIT;

The one below is another SQL code that runs 1/10th the time the above takes

PROC SQL;
   CREATE TABLE tbl_output  AS
   SELECT distinct t1.keyID AS keyID,
          t2.EventID AS EventID,
          t2.Date_Begn,
            (DATEPART(t2.Date_Begn)) FORMAT=YYQD6. LABEL="YY_QQ" AS YY_QQ,
          t3.Field1 AS t3Field1,
          t5.Field1 AS t5Field1,
          t4.Field1,
          t4.Field2,
          t2.status_value

FROM  dbo.table1 t1 join dbo.table2 t2 on
   t1.EventID = t2.case_id
   join dbo.table3 t3 on
   t2.ntype_id = t3.EventID
   join dbo.table4 t4 on
             t2.EventID = t4.key2
   join dbo.table5 t5 on
   t4.t4key = t5.EventID

WHERE   t2.Date_Begn >= "&s_date:00:00"dt AND t2.Date_Begn < "&e_date:00:00"dt AND
   t5.Field1 IN  ("Value 1","Value 2") AND
   t2.status_value = 'Complete' AND
   t3.Field1 = 'Distinct'

ORDER BY t2.Date_Begn, t3.Field1, t5.Field1, t4.Field1, t4.Field2, t1.status_value;
QUIT;

As I mentioned in my first post, EG combines the table in a 'where' if the type of join is all 'inner' . How can I make it come up with the second so it runs faster? I can ofcourse stick the second in a program within EG but that defeats the whole purpose of using EG to begin with

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The two queries are sorting the output differently.  Can you test if that explains the performance difference?

swamy
Calcite | Level 5

Yes that did it Tom Ive gone blind-Thanks so much!

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Let's throw this one over the wall to SAS. I noticed a while ago how EG uses different SQL join syntax depending on the join type.

Can anyone from SAS tell us why the two different syntax forms are used?

Thanks, Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation