Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

It takes too long to close a table in SAS

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

It takes too long to close a table in SAS

What it can be the reason(s) that it takes too long to close a large table in SAS but it can be opened instantly?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-11-2016 06:32 AM
Trusted Advisor

Re: It takes too long to close a table in SAS

Sorry for the misunderstaning: I understood you use EG because you opened the topic in the forum for Enterprise Guide.

If it is SAS, you might need to review your memory settings for SASBase, which are located in the SASFoundation/9.X/nls/(your language)/sasv9.conf.

If you have a SASAdmin close to you, I would advise you to make contact with your SASAdmin so can give you the best recommendation.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Trusted Advisor

I am not sure what you mean. 

But speaking about performance and getting additional clues you can:

- Enable the project logging functionality: http://support.sas.com/kb/55/414.html 

- Check your options for performance: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/EG-7-1-very-slow-data-view-performance/td-p/2019...

- Check the memory your EGuide.exe is using during the process: (open Windows Taks Manager and go to the performance or details/processes tabs).

It is possible that a process call "garbage collector" (a popular one in the java and .NET programmers community) is taking long to free the memory taken by the table.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your answer. But I use Base SAS and the large table is on the other server. How can I change these options in Base SAS?

Solution
‎03-11-2016 06:32 AM
Trusted Advisor

Sorry for the misunderstaning: I understood you use EG because you opened the topic in the forum for Enterprise Guide.

If it is SAS, you might need to review your memory settings for SASBase, which are located in the SASFoundation/9.X/nls/(your language)/sasv9.conf.

If you have a SASAdmin close to you, I would advise you to make contact with your SASAdmin so can give you the best recommendation.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation