BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
When I try to open a specific file, I get the dialog box "Unable to open file SAS:\File\ ... .egp as a valid project file.

Does anyone know if there is a repair utility or technique that I haven't been able to locate, or have I lost the work done on this file since last backup?
7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Your best bet is to open a tech support track, and we can see if we can recover it for you.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have also seen this error message before, and the solution was to open the EG project binary in for instance the programming language Phyton.
In our case there had been added emty spaces in the beginning of the project, so everything in the code before the starting 'P' was removed. After doing this the project worked again!

Example in Phyton:

infile=file('EGProject.egp', 'rb')
txt=infile.read()
infile.close()
out=file('EGProject.egp', 'wb')
out.write(txt[txt.find('P'):len(txt)])
out.close()

But, we have no idea what caused this error.
Have anybody else experienced this type of error, and do you know why it happened?

Regards,
Loccita
deleted_user
Not applicable
> I have also seen this error message before, and the
> solution was to open the EG project binary in for
> instance the programming language Phyton.
> In our case there had been added emty spaces in the
> beginning of the project, so everything in the code
> before the starting 'P' was removed. After doing this
> the project worked again!
>
> Example in Phyton:
>
> infile=file('EGProject.egp', 'rb')
> txt=infile.read()
> infile.close()
> out=file('EGProject.egp', 'wb')
> out.write(txt[txt.find('P'):len(txt)])
> out.close()
>
> But, we have no idea what caused this error.
> Have anybody else experienced this type of error, and
> do you know why it happened?
>
> Regards,
> Loccita

I try the code you suggested in Python and I got a syntax error. under out.write. I don't much about python any idea?
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestion. In my case I had exceeded disk quota, so the target server would not let EG finish writing my project changes. For me it was easier to restore from backup and recreate the last few changes that I made.
Matt
Quartz | Level 8

I just faced the same issue today. Mid-Tier were the content server/repository is was too slow, after restarting all servers and services we are able to access all EG project.

SamuelD
Fluorite | Level 6

Responding to an old post, as i have had this issue in the past and thought what i found may help others. 🙂

METHOD 1:
You can try changing the file extension to ZIP.

When you open the file you should see something like this:
Capture.PNG

Navigate through each folder to find the desired code (most likely in one of the CodeTask folder) and then open the code.sas file.
Capture2.PNG

You then just need to create a new project, and insert the required code.

METHOD 2:

Open the Project, so long as it shows the path in the title bar the project will have most likely loaded, even if the icons are not showed in the process flow.

From the menu, save the project using "SAVE AS" and give the file a new name.

Close project

Reopen the project, and it should open up correctly.

Anyway hope one of these ideas help.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would also ensure that EG project files get stored in a folder location that gets backed up regularly. It is probably easier and quicker to restore the last good EG project file, then update that, than it is manually create a new one from scratch.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation