BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I'm currently converting SAS programs to EG projects so that we can move a group of non-programming analysts to solely EG ie remove Base SAS completely.

I've had someone tell me the process I'm using wont work if Base SAS is removed; they are telling me that EG is utilising the Base SAS engine. Here is how I've set things up - can someone please let me know if this will work?

1. Main processing of code occurs on remote server
  2. I've set up a local server under SAS Enterprise Guide Explorer ie I ticked the 'Automatically add local SAS server (if installed) to server list'
  3. I use the 'Download data files to PC' task to download the final datasets
  4. I have code that runs on the local server that outputs the file to the users c: drive ie outputs Excel spreadsheets

I notice that SAS.exe turns up in Widows Task Manager when I hit local so I suspect that this may not work if Base SAS is removed but can someone please confirm?

The reason I want it processed locally is I have a VB script that converts the XML files to native Excel and then deletes the XML file.

I dont have access to a PC with just EG unfortunately to test.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You can test what EG life would be like without a local server by (temporarily) unregistering your SAS workspace.

From your local PC, run:

PROGRAMFILES\SASHome\9.3\SASFoundation\sas.exe /unregserver

When you next launch EG, see Help->About and select Configuration Details.  You should see that local SAS is no longer "detected".

To re-enable:

PROGRAMFILES\SASHome\9.3\SASFoundation\sas.exe /regserver

To accomplish your overall goal, you should be able to use your remote SAS to write Excel files (using tagsets.ExcelXP? Is that what you're doing?)

Then use the Copy Files task (which you need to download/install) to copy the remote Excel files to the local PC.  You can even use the System Command task to kick off your VBScript.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Correct. Base or Foundation SAS must also be installed on the PC with EG if you want a "local SAS connection". Otherwise all processing must take place on a remote SAS server.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You can test what EG life would be like without a local server by (temporarily) unregistering your SAS workspace.

From your local PC, run:

PROGRAMFILES\SASHome\9.3\SASFoundation\sas.exe /unregserver

When you next launch EG, see Help->About and select Configuration Details.  You should see that local SAS is no longer "detected".

To re-enable:

PROGRAMFILES\SASHome\9.3\SASFoundation\sas.exe /regserver

To accomplish your overall goal, you should be able to use your remote SAS to write Excel files (using tagsets.ExcelXP? Is that what you're doing?)

Then use the Copy Files task (which you need to download/install) to copy the remote Excel files to the local PC.  You can even use the System Command task to kick off your VBScript.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Chris,

Yes I am using ExcelXP to write the XML and then a VB script to convert. I tried to install the tasks above but getting errors. Is this because I'm running EG5.1? If so do you have a 5.1 version?

One other question I have is will the above solution cope with dynamically named files? Currently users enter as many client ids into the program as they need and hit go and it spits out an excel file per client eg 'Client Profile for ID 123456789.xls'

SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Found the answer on your site Chris:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2013/05/19/unblocking-custom-task-dlls/

Just have to find a friendly IT admin to unblock the Dlls....

If you could let me know whether the tasks handle the dynamically created files though that would be great.

cheers

Steve

SteveNZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Chris, I have it working to a degree now. I've got the xml files being created on the server, being downloaded and converted to native excel files via the two tasks. I see I can also download using the wildcard so all good. I've just got to alter my vbscript to delete the xml file once saved as but that shouldn't be a problem; my current code does this via SAS code.

For anyone else who has problems with the dlls being blocked simply copy them to a flash drive formatted fat32 and then back again and voila the problem is gone. I kid you not.

cheers

Steve

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Steve, I'm glad that you got it working and that the tasks are helpful.

That's a good trick with the flash drive -- I was aware of that approach, but was reluctant to document it for fear of subverting an IT process.  But since I know the task DLLs are safe, I applaud your resourcefulness.

Chris

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation