BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
avbraga
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all,

I am brand new to SAS EG (version 4.3), but I am an experienced SAS programmer (on version 9.2). I know that SAS EG here at work operates on a remote server and I don't see any options for "local" (as my C drive for example. I'm still learning this tool).

I have a question about importing sas datasets to be used for analysis in SAS EG. On my C drive I have a couple of SAS datasets I want to use. Let's say the path to the files is "C:\Documents and Settings\G137519\Desktop\CPMG\Medicare Fee Schedule".

In SAS 9.2 the following piece of code works just fine. Here is the log:

libname fee "C:\Documents and Settings\G137519\Desktop\CPMG\Medicare Fee Schedule";

NOTE: Libref FEE was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine:        V9

Physical Name: C:\Documents and Settings\G137519\Desktop\CPMG\Medicare Fee Schedule

-----------------------------------------

On the other hand, trying the same line of code in SAS EG and it fails to give the same result:

libname fee "C:\Documents and Settings\G137519\Desktop\CPMG\Medicare Fee Schedule";

NOTE: Library FEE does not exist.

-----------------------------------------

Can this be done at all in SAS EG? The idea that one can import into SAS EG all kinds of dataset files but sas dataset files sounds a bit wonky to me. Please let me know if you have ever encountered a situation like this, and if you have a solution to this type of problem.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

As others have pointed out, your EG installation and your data files are on your PC, but your SAS Workspace session (where the code runs) is on a different box, and the library path you specified isn't valid.  You can get your data files to where they need to be by using Tasks->Data->Upload Data Sets to Server.  That task will transfer your local data files into a SAS library that you select.

For other files, such as CSV or XLSX files that you want to access via SAS code, you can use the Copy Files task.  In v7.13 and later this is on the Tasks->Data menu.  In earlier releases, you can add this task as a custom task.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Mit
Calcite | Level 5 Mit
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Abvraga

You can not get connected to your desktop c-drivestraight away if you are working from a server (although it shows you that a connection is made). So best way is transfer all your file to the drive that is mapped to the server. One more thing the c-drive refered in sas EG is the c-drive of the server.

Thanks

Mit

avbraga
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Mit,

thank you so much for the quick reply. Is there any paper/tutorial out there you can point me to where it shows users how to do this type of file transfer (from desktop to server)? Or is this something that only IT SAS admin type folks can resolve?

If you could let me know, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Alex

MumSquared
Calcite | Level 5

You need the full path in the libname statement so the server can locate the file.

libname myData "//MachineNetworkName/DriveLetter/Folders/MyDataFolder";

Talk to your IT SAS admin as where you should be storing your datasets as there is likely to be designated data drive for the SAS server.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

As others have pointed out, your EG installation and your data files are on your PC, but your SAS Workspace session (where the code runs) is on a different box, and the library path you specified isn't valid.  You can get your data files to where they need to be by using Tasks->Data->Upload Data Sets to Server.  That task will transfer your local data files into a SAS library that you select.

For other files, such as CSV or XLSX files that you want to access via SAS code, you can use the Copy Files task.  In v7.13 and later this is on the Tasks->Data menu.  In earlier releases, you can add this task as a custom task.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
avbraga
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris,

thank you for that. I managed to bring in the sas files from my PC into the work library on the SAS EG server. 

Again, thank you and the rest of the community for the assistance.

Alex

SumanLata
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am facing the same issue. When I try to read even a CSV file, it populates the information for source rightly but for output it ask for server location. In my company they work on servery only. But I saw in couple of blogs it gives an option to save the dataset in EG local work library. Do you know how to over ride that part and also how how to pull in SAS file from c-drive into SAS EG local. 

Regards,

Suman

NIMISHPATIL
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Chris

Can  you please elaborate?

Thank you so much.

s_renu
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris,

While using e-miner online(without installing), how can i load a sas data set in a directory on SAS Server from my local drive ?

tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Something, like MumSquared, suggested works, i do it sometimes but it could be a little slow because the server has to go througth the network to your computer.   You have to refer to the default shared folder(c$) on your computer:

libname myData "//MachineNetworkName/c$/Folders/MyDataFo​lder

Mit
Calcite | Level 5 Mit
Calcite | Level 5

I think MumSquared is right. Talk to your IT people. However if you know the network drive that is mapped to the server then try copying files from your pc to that network path (the system should allow you to do that).

Good Luck!!!

Mit

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

A file transfer can be as easy as drag drop the files.    The transfer tasks wll wokr but behind scenes convert all data to a sas datastep using sas datalines. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 9 in conversation