BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
katiauk
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am a new user working with SAS Enterprise Guide and I have been trying to import a very large .txt file, with over 10 million rows and around 18 columns.

I have tried the wizard, which does not bring all the records, so I tried the proc import:

PROC IMPORT
    DATAFILE='\\10.42.16.29\gc$\Full_0151108.txt'
    OUT = gc.20151108TESTE;
    DBMS = DLM replace;
    DELIMITER = '|';
    getnames=yes;
run;

The code imports fewer lines than the wizard. I can't seem to find a way to import all of the rows! Any help appreciated.

Thanks.Smiley Frustrated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Try adding option IGNOREDOSEOF to your infile statement.

PG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ad123123
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Could you try following code:-

data work.temp ;
infile '<file_path>\abc.txt'
lrecl = 32767 <or whatever is your file length>
delimiter = '|'
dsd
missover
firstobs = 1 /*Give this value as 1 if your text file does not contain column name. If your file contains column name this value will be 2*/;
;
attrib <col1> length = $32;
attrib <col2> length = $8;
attrib <col3> length = $26;

/*This will continue till col 16*/

input <col1> <col2> <col3>......<col16>;

run;

katiauk
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks, I have tried, but only imports the same as my code, 26357 records...
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

PG
katiauk
Calcite | Level 5

@PGStats wrote:

Thansk PG, I did just that yesterday after I learned there were special characters on the txt file. It worked like a charm.

I had to get an IT guy to open the file for me because I dont have any tools to open such a big file, but when i tried to load another file and analysed the last line it imported and finding a very similar error, it was just a matter of finding what  was wrong with the file.

Smiley Happy

Reeza
Super User
When you use proc import you'll get some code in the log. Take that code and modify it to read your full file. Most likely you'll need to change the LRECL option because your lines are longer than SAS expects.
Ksharp
Super User
What did your SAS LOG display ? Is there any WARNING or ERROR message? I also notice OUT = gc.20151108TESTE; in your code. It is not right. SAS table name can't be start with a digit .
Reeza
Super User

@Ksharp wrote:
What did your SAS LOG display ? Is there any WARNING or ERROR message? I also notice OUT = gc.20151108TESTE; in your code. It is not right. SAS table name can't be start with a digit .

This was posted in SAS EG forum, and unfortunately SAS EG sets the option validvarname=any by default.

Ksharp
Super User
I see. But there are must have something like NOTE: WARNING: in LOG. That could help us to know where is the problem, if OP think importing result is not right.
ad123123
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Can you please paste few rows after 26,357? Also, while running the code did you find any erroneous statement in log?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation