BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnnaShami
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Experts,

I am trying to import a bad text raw data file in SAS EG using Infile statement. The file has 100,000 rows but when I import it imports only 2000 rows. I looked into the text file and saw that 2001 row there is a ‘arrow’ sign in the middle of the data. May be that’s the reason it’s not importing from this row onwards.

Is there any way we can import all the data even if there are some characters..?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You could try pre-processing the file to exclude any characters you don't need, something like:

data _null_;
     infile "C:\test.txt" recfm=n;
     file "C:\NEW_Test.txt" recfm=n;
     input a $char1.;
     put compress(a,"","knpu");
     put a $char1.;
run;

So the file is read one character at a time.  The compress should keep (k) numeric+chars (n), punctuation (p), and uppercase (u), and then write that out again.  You can then read in the NEW_Test.txt file without special characters. 

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

If your SAS is running on Windows, there is another possibility that your text file has embedded with  'end of file' unprinted symbol, namely '1A'x. In this case, you need to tell SAS to ignore it:

infile test ignoredoseof;

AnnaShami
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks. It worked Smiley Happy

So is this the unprinted sign and we don't see it in the file? That is tricky..how do we know that all the data is not getting imported because of some wierd character or is it odd sign/symbol or because of end of file symbol?

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I am afraid that there really is no easy programmable way to tell. I would reach out to the data provider get some metadata information, at least on ballpark level, such as how many records, fields in total etc, and understanding how the data is generated also helps, for instance, if you know you are get whole year of data that is collected on monthly basis, then there is a chance of your having 'end of file' symbol embedded.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation