BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnnaShami
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I am using SAS Enterprise guide and I want to import multiple sheets from excel to SAS. In excel first sheet has column headers but other sheets don’t have column headers.

Now I want to import all the sheets at the same time in SAS then append all in one append to the first dataset created form sheet1 as it has column headers.

I would appreciate your help.

I found something on the web so I tried using following code but library is not getting assigned.

LibName xlsLib ‘H:\Pneumonia.xls’;

I am getting error:

ERROR: Connect: Class not registered

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

8 REPLIES 8
DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Anna,

There is a simple way using macro to determine the Sheet you need.

Do the following example do this:

%macro pim(sheet);
proc import out= payment
    datafile = 'E:\SAS DOC\project\Credit Banking.xls'
    dbms = Excel;
    sheet = "&sheet";
    getnames = yes;
run;
%mend piim;
%pim(Customer Acqusition);
%pim(Spend);
%pim(Repayment);

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Att

Rodrigo Dartibali 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, do you have the required SAS/ACCESS license?  Run proc setinit.  You can try the libname excel statement, described;

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/024-31.pdf

Its easy enough to work with.  What I would say however, is all your data the same on all the sheets, Excel is not a structured format, hence if you have mix of chars/numbers, specials, dates are always tricky, you are going to have difficulties.  Personally I would get the data in  proper data transfer format and have an agreement with the vendor of what is supplied.

AnnaShami
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks.

Please note only first sheet has variable names on the top and other sheets don’t. So when I import each sheet separate, 2/3/4 sheets will have variables as A, B, C after they get imported in SAS…if I do:

getnames = no;

And then append is a problem.

on the other hand if I have getnames = yes; first row will be displayed as varaible names..that's also a problem in appending all these sheets together in SAS.

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Anna, So for the sheet that does not contain the column names try this:

%macro pim(sheet,start,namerow);
proc import out= payment
    datafile = 'E:\SAS DOC\project\Credit Banking.xls'
    dbms = Excel;
    startrow=&start;
    namerow=&namerow.;
    sheet = "&sheet";
    getnames = yes;
run;
%mend piim;
%pim(Customer Acqusition,2,3);
%pim(Spend,1,1);
%pim(Repayment,1,1);

Att

ira_jacobson_delta_com
Calcite | Level 5

Outstanding! Thank you very much!

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

How is this outstanding, the thread is from 2015, please avoid necro'ing posts.

ira_jacobson_delta_com
Calcite | Level 5

What is "necro'ing"? I'm sorry, I'm new here. I learned from this code what I needed to do and it worked. It was very helpful and to me, "Outstanding". What's the issue? I'm sorry, I do not understand.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

To necro a post is to raise it from the dead.  This thread is from 2015, it is very old.  Posting again to an old thread raises it back up to the forefront, I for instance know this because I get automatic emails from posts I have contributed to, so as you can imagine, if people starting posting in all old posts, my email would collapse.  You can show your apreciation to posts by clicking the Like button below the post.

Also note that old posts my not use current thinking/technology.  For instance if you are using an XLSX file, and have SAS 9.4 then you can far simpler access data by using the libname excel engine:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2015/05/20/using-libname-xlsx-to-read-and-write-excel-files/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation