BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
A_H_M
Calcite | Level 5

HI everyone,

Please hope to get help for my enquiry,

I have project containing data created by sas enterprise guide 4.2 on local PC, the project saved there locally and now we have sas server and enterprise guide 5,1, I want to transfer and run the project to the new version (on server), when I open the project and click run, I get errors , I need please details and instructions for what I must do to run on new version

Appreciated for your support

Thanks and Best Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

There are so many moving parts to your question that I suspect that we can't answer it here.  A couple of thoughts.

• When you move data from one location to another (local PC to server), you are going to need to change all of the references to that data in your EGuide project.  If you used LIBNAMES to point to your data, you only need to change it there; if not, you need to change every reference.
  • Enterprise Guide runs locally on the client.  You need to install the EGuide 5.1 on the local PC.
  • If your old environment had the SAS server on the local PC, then you are going to need to work with your IT support to get the SAS connectivity from your local PC to the remote server.
  • Telling us (or tech support) the specific errors will get you further than a generic statement; there are hundreds of ways to get errors in SAS.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I had no problems to open EG project created with EG4.2 with 5.1 and then run it. The projects got right away converted. BUT: I didn't change the environment (from local SAS to server SAS).

I assume that's where you face issues. So for example your input and output files must now be in a directory which can be accessed by the SAS server (that's where your code gets executed - EG is only a "code generator").

Let's say you had your files somewhere on your c-drive. That worked with a local SAS installation (the SAS server on the same machine than the EG client). Doesn't work now anymore!

First thing: Move all your data to folders which the SAS Server can access, then change all the pathnames in the libraries so that they point to the new locations.

There is a EG migration wizard which can help you mapping old paths to new ones. Mine is under C:\Program Files\SASHome\x86\SASEnterpriseGuide\5.1\MigrationWizard.exe.

What you also can do is "hack". EG projects ".egp" are zip files. You can open it with WinZip or the like and then change paths directly in project.xml (work on a copy of the project! - it's "hacking" and you could destroy your project if you're doing something wrong).

The best thing of course would be - now that you're on a server - to use pre-defined libraries (in metadata) which already point to a location the server can access. Not sure how you can replace your old librefs with the new ones. I believe the migration wizard would support you there. For librefs in the code: you would need to change them.

One lazy way exists: libname <old libref> (<new libref in metadata>); would point your old librefs to the new locations as well.

KishoreChavan
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Patrick. This is useful. I was also facing similar situation. MigrationWizard.exe  allowed me to change Local server Paths to server paths for a project and helped me.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation