Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

How to use case statement to group multiple options within one line?

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to use case statement to group multiple options within one line?

Is there a more condensed way to write this? I want to know if I can do the "keep" group all in one line instead of needing to duplicate it for each variation of email domain.

CASE
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.COM' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.MIL' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.BIZ' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.NET' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.ORG' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.EDU' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.GOV' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.PRO' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.INFO' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.US' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.CA' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.AERO' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.ARPA' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.ASIA' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.CAT' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.COOP' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.INT' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.JOBS' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.MOBI' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.MUSEUM' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.NAME' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.TEL' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.TRAVEL' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.UM' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'POPULATED_COUNTRY' THEN 'KEEP'
ELSE 'REMOVE'
END

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-18-2018 01:06 PM
Super User

Re: How to use case statement to group multiple options within one line?

Posted in reply to agoldberg2018
case when t2.nvl_country_group = 'NULL' and upcase(scan(t1.email_address, 2, '.@')) in ('COM', 'MIL', BIZ', 'NET', .... , 'UM') then 'KEEP'
else 'REMOVE'
end;

Couple of other options:

1. Create a data set with the list of domains you want to include in the strings and use that instead of typing it into your code. It makes it a bit easier to maintain in the long run. 

2. From #1 you could create a format that would assign the KEEP/REMOVE values

3. Test NULL condition only once instead of every line, nest the CASE or IF/THEN statements if necessary. 

@agoldberg2018 wrote:

Is there a more condensed way to write this? I want to know if I can do the "keep" group all in one line instead of needing to duplicate it for each variation of email domain.

CASE
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.COM' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.MIL' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.BIZ' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.NET' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.ORG' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.EDU' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.GOV' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.PRO' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.INFO' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.AERO' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.ARPA' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.ASIA' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.CAT' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.COOP' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.INT' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.JOBS' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.MOBI' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.MUSEUM' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.NAME' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.TEL' THEN 'KEEP'
WHEN t1.NVL_COUNTRY_GROUP = 'NULL' and t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS LIKE '%.TRAVEL' THEN 'KEEP'
ELSE 'REMOVE'
END

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎07-18-2018 01:06 PM
Super User

case when t2.nvl_country_group = 'NULL' and upcase(scan(t1.email_address, 2, '.@')) in ('COM', 'MIL', BIZ', 'NET', .... , 'UM') then 'KEEP'
else 'REMOVE'
end;

Couple of other options:

1. Create a data set with the list of domains you want to include in the strings and use that instead of typing it into your code. It makes it a bit easier to maintain in the long run. 

2. From #1 you could create a format that would assign the KEEP/REMOVE values

3. Test NULL condition only once instead of every line, nest the CASE or IF/THEN statements if necessary. 

@agoldberg2018 wrote:

CASE
ELSE 'REMOVE'
END

New Contributor

@Reeza can you explain to me what 

SCAN(t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS, 2, '.@')

means? 

It actually didn't work so I am wondering if the .@ is wrong.. is there a link you know of I can reference for a deep explanation of this?

Thanks for your help!

Super User

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lefunctionsref&docsetTarget=p0jshdjy2z9zdzn1h7k90u99lyq6.htm&...

SCAN() is trying to get the component of the email. 

Emails are usually in the form of :

xyz@domain.TLD

SCAN() says that the components can be separated by the fields in the third parameter, @ and dot (.) 

2 says to take the second one.

XYX - Domain - TLD

So 2 would return the domain portion. 

Looking back at your question you actually want the last portion so you can change it to 3. 

If you have addresses of the form:

ABC.XYZ@DOMAIN.TLD you can use -1 to get the last component instead.

scan(t1.email_address, -1, '.@')

@agoldberg2018 wrote:

@Reeza can you explain to me what 

SCAN(t1.EMAIL_ADDRESS, 2, '.@')

means? 

It actually didn't work so I am wondering if the .@ is wrong.. is there a link you know of I can reference for a deep explanation of this?

Thanks for your help!

New Contributor

@Reeza 

Yes! The -1 one makes the most sense because of people who separate words in the email address like firstname.lastname@abc.com

Thank you again for taking the time to explain this to me! I greatly appreciate the knowledge.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation