BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Gary
Calcite | Level 5
Dear friends,

How to set the length of variable name to 8 when using ODS to generate output dataset?

Your help will be appreciated!

Gary
6 REPLIES 6
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I'm confused about what you mean. Do you mean using the ODS OUTPUT statement to create a SAS dataset -- and you want the resulting variable names to only be 8 characters? So, for example, if you used ODS OUTPUT with PROC MEANS, one of the created variables might be SALES_MEAN -- which is NOT 8 characters. If this is what you mean, then you might have to change the code generated in EG to use a RENAME option to rename SALES_MEAN to something like SALE_AVG.

You might be also be referrring to a usage of ODS to create another type of file (CSV, HTML, etc) -- that I have heard some folks refer to as a dataset although it is not a SAS dataset -- and you want the column headers in the resulting file to be only 8 characters?

So depending on what you mean -- you'd either use RENAME for the ODS OUTPUT scenario or some other technique if you were creating a CSV or HTML file.

cynthia
Gary
Calcite | Level 5
Hi:

I was talking about the first scenario: I want the variable names (in the dataset created by ODS OUTPUT) to be <= 8 characters long.
There is a cute method. But I do not remember the method.

Thanks,

Gary
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, Gary:
Here's an example you can try in a code node. The RENAME= dataset option will allow you to do the rename right in the ODS OUTPUT statement. Do pay attention to the bunches of parentheses that all have to be matched up.

If you examine the PROC CONTENTS output, you will see that the variable names have been changed.

cynthia

[pre]
** Default names longer than 8 characters;
ods output summary=work.sum_default;
proc means data=sashelp.shoes min mean max sum std;
var sales;
class region;
run;

proc contents data=work.sum_default;
title 'Default Var Names from ODS OUTPUT';
run;

** Use RENAME= to change;
** RENAME= syntax is ;
** dataset-name(rename=(bad_var_name=good_var_name bad_var_name2=good_var_name2));

ods output summary=work.sum_change(rename=(Sales_Max=Sale_Max
Sales_StdDev=Sale_Std
Sales_Sum=Sale_Sum
Sales_Min=Sale_Min
Sales_Mean=Sale_Avg));
var sales;
class region;
run;

proc contents data=work.sum_change;
title 'After Using the RENAME option';
run;
[/pre]
deleted_user
Not applicable
I can't identify any current data manipulation package that wants 8-byte variable names Cynthia, so I wondered why this would be needed. However, my first thought was that SAS might have coded some backward compatibility into a system option, and I went looking at ValidVarName to see whether it had a V6 option available.

Sadly, the documentation doesn't report anything other than V7, UPCASE and ANY. Still, that would have been an easy solution.

Kind regards

David
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
David:
Actually, that IS a brilliant idea (it has a downside -- but still brilliant).

VALIDVARNAME=V6 is a possible option. It was designed so that "VALIDVARNAME=V6 indicates that only those variable names that are considered valid in Version 6 are considered valid SAS variable names.", then THIS does work:
[pre]
options validvarname=V6;
** Default names longer than 8 characters;
ods output summary=work.sum_default;
var returns;
class product;
run;

proc contents data=work.sum_default;
title 'Default Var Names from ODS OUTPUT';
run;

[/pre]

BUT, the downside of this approach is that the INVENTORY variable is on SASHELP.SHOES. So with the VALIDVARNAME=V6 option set,
then INVENTORY is NOT a valid name. So in that case, you'd have to use the RENAME= option. In the long run, I think RENAME= might be the best way to go because it will work under all situations -- and you don't then have to worry about your V8 and V9 datasets with longer variable names (which you might want to use for analysis).

Great idea!

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
I made a newbie mistake then Cynthia. I expected that the documentation would be complete, which was a poor assumption. I thought as a Developer, and decided that would be a valid option, but when I checked the book of words, it wasn't there.

I should have tested it, as I intended to, but time and other demands got in the way. Your point on the table name is well taken, and it wasn't a problem I envisaged because I assumed that wanting 8-byte column names also meant table names would conform to the same requirement. Not good; two bad assumptions in one day .

So the lesson is: not to assume and to test your ideas.

Kind regards

David

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation