Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

How to move a SPACE to a numeric field

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to move a SPACE to a numeric field

I have data with an '.' in a numeric field.  I want to move a space to this field. I would like to do this in Enterprise Guide. I have tried variations of this syntax:

case when t1.AF > 0 then PUT(t1.AF) =  ''
end

Input

AF AM BF
. . 9
. . .
. . 2

Output

AF AM BF

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-04-2017 09:44 AM
Super User
Super User

Re: How to move a SPACE to a numeric field

Just change the system option to print a space instead of a period for missing numeric values.

options missing=' ';

If you do want to recode your variable to character then your CASE statement would look like this:

case
  when not missing(t1.AF) then PUT(t1.AF,best12.)
  else ' '
end

You could pick a different format to use in the PUT() function depending on how you want the values displayed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Respected Advisor

options missing=' ';

Contributor

How does this syntax work in Enterprise Guide in build and advanced expression if my field name is AF?

Grand Advisor

NO "expression" needed. The period is indicating that the value is missing. The option sets the display to show missing with a different character, a blank. The "condition" to create a character variable with a blank in a CASE statement would be

It looks like you may be missing an ELSE portion of your CASE statement: Else " " as BF. But you didn't show the entire case statement as the result variable isn't indicated.

Contributor

My field is numeric so my else cannot be "" for a blank.  I do not want a zero.  Ideas?

Solution
‎01-04-2017 09:44 AM
Super User
Super User

Just change the system option to print a space instead of a period for missing numeric values.

options missing=' ';

If you do want to recode your variable to character then your CASE statement would look like this:

case
  when not missing(t1.AF) then PUT(t1.AF,best12.)
  else ' '
end

You could pick a different format to use in the PUT() function depending on how you want the values displayed.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation