BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
titus
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm sure this is an option that just needs to be turned off but I can't locate where the option is at. On my old machine and on my co-workers' installs of SAS EG this has never appeared so I'm not sure how it was turned on in the first place. When I go into the Computed Column builder or the Advanced Filter builder, there is a gray secondary pane that appears below the text box where you enter your code. The pane reproduces what is entered in the text box but encloses some column names in quotes. I'd like to disable this second pane as it takes up screen space that I'd rather have for code and I have to drag it down out of view every time I enter one of the builder windows.

I'm running SAS Enterprise Guide Version 5.1 (5.100.0.13304) Hot fix 17 (32-bit) on Windows 7

Thanks!

SAS EG Second Pane.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The first (editable) text pane is where you type the advanced expression, which requires you to use column names (can't use column labels) to reference variables.  That secondary read-only text pane is the "show column labels" version of the advanced expression.  The only difference is that it shows column labels (if present), rather than column names.  As such, it is the more human-readable version, depending on the column names and labels (if used).

The secondary pane only appears if the "Use labels for column names" option in EG's Tools->Options->Data->Data General tab is checked.  So, you can hide it by unchecking that option.  (It would have been nicer to have a way to hide that secondary pane right in the dialog.)

screenshot.png

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

That's weird!

I'm running 6.1, and no matter what I do, I can't get that second screen to appear.

Mystified,

Tom

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The first (editable) text pane is where you type the advanced expression, which requires you to use column names (can't use column labels) to reference variables.  That secondary read-only text pane is the "show column labels" version of the advanced expression.  The only difference is that it shows column labels (if present), rather than column names.  As such, it is the more human-readable version, depending on the column names and labels (if used).

The secondary pane only appears if the "Use labels for column names" option in EG's Tools->Options->Data->Data General tab is checked.  So, you can hide it by unchecking that option.  (It would have been nicer to have a way to hide that secondary pane right in the dialog.)

screenshot.png

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

titus
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It's so nice to open up the builder and see that nice big test pane.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation