Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

How to deal with variable name having space in SAS Enterprise Guide

Accepted Solution Solved
N/A
Accepted Solution

How to deal with variable name having space in SAS Enterprise Guide

I am new to SAS Enterprise Guide. When I used SAS 8.2, if the variable name has space in between, SAS will automatically add "_". But it seems that EG will leave the space in the variable name. So is there any systemic way to deal with it? For example, I have 100 variables in my raw data. After I import it to SAS, is it possible to add "_" for the space for the variable name automatically? Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-14-2017 02:04 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: How to deal with variable name having space in SAS Enterprise Guide

Also, in v6.1, Enterprise Guide added a Naming options section in Tools->Data->Data General that allows you to control the default valid variable and member naming rules (still defaults to validvarname=any and validmemname=extend).  You can change it to V7 if desired to go back to the more restrictive naming rules.

deleteme.png

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

It is related to the VALIDVARNAME=ANY system option used by EG. This will allow any character to be part of a SAS variable name. Can it be totally turned out for the whole SAS EG session ? I don't see how, but this would be the quickest answer to your problem.
Otherwise, you can create a RENAME statement using macros to replace blanks by underscores. Something like that :
[pre]
OPTION VALIDVARNAME = ANY ;
DATA work.test ;
INPUT "my spaced name 1"n "my spaced name 2"n myRegular_SAS_name ;
CARDS ;
1 1 3
1 2 3
;
RUN ;
PROC PRINT DATA = work.test ;
RUN ;
PROC CONTENTS DATA = work.test OUT = work.dictionary NOPRINT ;
RUN ;
PROC SQL NOPRINT ;
SELECT CATS(NLITERAL(name),"=",TRANSLATE(STRIP(name),"_"," ")) INTO : renameList SEPARATED BY " "
FROM work.dictionary
WHERE STRIP(name) CONTAINS " "
;
QUIT ;
PROC DATASETS LIB = work NOLIST ;
MODIFY test ;
RENAME &renameList ;
RUN ; QUIT ;
PROC PRINT DATA = work.test ;
RUN ;
[/pre]
Regards.
Olivier
N/A

Solution
‎08-14-2017 02:04 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Also, in v6.1, Enterprise Guide added a Naming options section in Tools->Data->Data General that allows you to control the default valid variable and member naming rules (still defaults to validvarname=any and validmemname=extend).  You can change it to V7 if desired to go back to the more restrictive naming rules.

deleteme.png

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation