Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

How to create permanent library in SAS Enterprise Guide

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to create permanent library in SAS Enterprise Guide

Hi, I am new to SAS Enterprise Guide. I am trying to create a library using a LIBNAME statement  in SAS Enterprise guide on a server but I do not see it created. I cannot create one through the explorer as I not not have rights. What is the right way to create a library on the server? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-15-2017 09:12 AM
Super User

Re: How to create permanent library in SAS Enterprise Guide

Several steps are necessary to create a library.

First, the physical location must exist. On Windows and UNIX systems this is a directory in a filesystem.

If it shall be a new library, you need read/write/execute permissions on the parent directory and have to create that directory; either from the systems tools (eg Windows Explorer) or from the commandline (remote login to UNIX), or using SAS tools or X / CALL SYSTEM.

Second, you need to have the necessary permissions ("read" and "execute" on UNIX, "write" if creation/overwrite of datasets is wanted)

Third, if you want that library to be "permanent":

- if for all users, have your administrator include it it in the general setup (metadata, autoexec files)

- if only for you, add it to the code sent to the server when the server is started (Tools - Options)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

You need rights on the server, so you probably need to have the administrator create the library.

You can create a library via code, but if you don't have rights it probably won't work.

libname libdef "path to library";
Solution
‎08-15-2017 09:12 AM
Super User

Several steps are necessary to create a library.

First, the physical location must exist. On Windows and UNIX systems this is a directory in a filesystem.

If it shall be a new library, you need read/write/execute permissions on the parent directory and have to create that directory; either from the systems tools (eg Windows Explorer) or from the commandline (remote login to UNIX), or using SAS tools or X / CALL SYSTEM.

Second, you need to have the necessary permissions ("read" and "execute" on UNIX, "write" if creation/overwrite of datasets is wanted)

Third, if you want that library to be "permanent":

- if for all users, have your administrator include it it in the general setup (metadata, autoexec files)

- if only for you, add it to the code sent to the server when the server is started (Tools - Options)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation