BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

I received a massive SAS data set (around 100 fields and 21 million records) with the comment that records containing the word "TEST" should be removed. The person who told me this didn't know which field(s) might contain the word TEST. Is there a way to search across all fields, without having to individually name the criteria for each field to be checked?  The only thing I can think of would be to create a concatenated field with all other fields and then search that, but even that sounds pretty labor intensive to me. Plus it will take forever and requires creating a large dataset that I don't really need. Can anyone suggest an alternative approach?

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

data want;
set have;
if index(catx(',',of all_your_fields:  ),"TEST")>0 then delete;
run;

Reeza
Super User

data have;
set sashelp.class;

flag = find( catx(" ", of _character_), "fred", 'it');
run;

proc print;
run;

Basically concatenate all the character variables, search for the word TEST in that string. 

This assumes numeric variables cannot be TEST. 

You could also run a giant PROC FREQ - get the results in a table and then search that table for the word TEST and see which variables you need to be filtering on.

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Reeza, I'm giving this a try now (waiting for it to run)! I'll be out tomorrow so probably will have to come back to this next week. I liked this option because it allows me to view the records containing TEST before I delete them. Also I liked that I didn't have to list all the variables.

Reeza
Super User

Note that the it options will strip leading/trailing spaces and ignores case in teh comparison. So in this case, test=Test=TEst etc.

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

Reeza,

I tried this solution, but my software keeps crashing, probably due to the amount of data being concatenated, since my data set is so large. Thanks anyway!

DrAbhijeetSafai
Pyrite | Level 9

That was helpful! 🙂

Thank you.

- Dr. Abhijeet Safai

Dr. Abhijeet Safai
Associate Data Analyst
Actu-Real
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

/*or*/

data want;
set have;
array t(*) your_fields: ;
do _n=1 to dim(t);
if index(t(_n),"TEST")>0 then do;
_f=1;
leave;
end;
if _f then delete;
drop _:;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation