Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

How do I import old FoxPro dbf files into EG to query?

Contributor

How do I import old FoxPro dbf files into EG to query?

I'm trying to import old FoxPro DBF files w/o luck into EG Version 5.1 (5.100.0.13108) Hot fix 13 (64-bit).

I'm new to EG so I'm not programming I use the click by click features.

I tried goin gto File, Import then locating the file but I get an error msg when I try to import.

Super User

Re: How do I import old FoxPro dbf files into EG to query?

Do you have the SAS Module Access to PC files? If not you may need a work around such as opening them in Excel or other spreadsheet and save as CSV or other text format.

Contributor

Yes. I just confirmed that.

Community Manager

Bill,

The 64-bit version of EG 5.1 won't be able to import your DBF files.  Earlier releases of EG relied on 32-bit data APIs to import such types, but I think this was dropped from EG 5.1 due to complications with 32-bit/64-bit compatibility.

Update: Actually, if you have 32-bit EG 5.1, you can drag a DBF file from Windows Explorer onto an EG project and the Import Data task will import it.  This is a bit of a trick and might not be completely supported if things go wrong, but it worked in my simple tests.

Alternative:

If you had access to a 32-bit version of EG 5.1, you might be able to open these files with the FoxPro OLE DB provider (which is 32-bit only).  You would select File->Open->OLEDB to get started.

Chris

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation