Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Getting rid of the no data period

Contributor

Getting rid of the no data period

I'm currently using EG 7.12 (point & click - no programming) and when I run a query and eventually use that for a summary report. The problem I'm having is that a period (.) will display in each cell that does not have data and thus it creates a problem when I convert it to Exce and try to sum or filter that column.

Is there a way to adjust options to either show "nothing" or zero when there is no data for a cell)s) in a column/row?

Super Contributor

Re: Getting rid of the no data period

Hello,

Usually a period is used in SAS to represent missing numeric values.

Try options missing=''; and see if it helps.

Super User
Super User

Well, the problem is with the difference in understanding between SAS and Excel.  SAS represents missing numbers as . to differentiate them from missing character values.  Excel does not.  You have many options here. Setting options missing=''; is one way, though bear in mind it covers your current session only and may cause confusion for other programmers.  You could also change your sum in Excel to be a countif() and count non '.' values.

You could of course also just do a find and replace, or do the summing in SAS, then export the result - rather than using two applications to do one job, or export to Excel as text.  

PROC Star

Which EG task are you using to get your report?

Contributor

Summary Tables Wizard

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation