BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
hardej2
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Enterprise Guide so all code will be executed remotely by using the Custom Code in the options to wrap everything with rsubmit.

However, I'm running into problems with signing on.

I am using Enterprise Guide on a client pc, and am trying to submit to SAS on an AIX server XXXXXXXX port 8561. So I have used the following in my custom code but with no success:

signon XXXXXXXX.8561;

rsubmit;

%let serv = XXXXXXXX 8561;

signon serv;

rsubmit;

%let serv = XXXXXXXX 8561;

options comamid=TCP remote=serv;

rsubmit;

However, I keep getting repeated errors, stating either 'a tcp link needs to be established' or 'a link must be established by executing the SIGNON command'.

Going round in circles on that SAS website with different options and recommendations, but nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Why don't you just choose the SAS Server that you want to use from within EGuide?   That seems a much more direct approach.

hardej2
Calcite | Level 5

I don't want to submit the query locally on my client machine, I want to submit it remotely to the server.

When i select the SAS server within EG and submit, it performs the query in place. I want to force all code submitted to remote submit to a server.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sounds like you might be using the wrong profile.  You can check (and create) profiles in tools --> options --> administration --> connection profiles and set up a default (remote) server there.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

EG always submits code to a Server.  Are you saying you do not want to use your local machine as the server?  Can't you just connect to a different server?

hardej2
Calcite | Level 5

I am under the impression that while code or a query runs in EG, the majority of the processing runs in the foreground. A job needs to explicitly call rsubmit to submit it as a batch job

to a server and execute there, freeing up the eg session.

If this is not the case then, it looks like i don't have a problem. N.B. I am an infrastructure admin concerned with using EG to replace a similar remote submite function.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Just to reinforce Tom's comment, EG is a thin-client interface to SAS, so all code submitted by EG runs on a SAS server. That server might be the same PC as EG if it has a complete SAS install. If it hasn't then there is no option but to run the code on a remote server, in your case AIX Unix server.

When you start EG it usually automatically signs on to the remote server(s) so signon and rsubmit statements become redundant.

hardej2
Calcite | Level 5

Tom & SASKiwi, thank you.

I am a relative newcomer to SAS and was getting a bit muddled when trying to convert functionality from existing applications to other applications.

shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi ,

Try this...Hope this helps..

signon outtsk2 sascmd="C:\Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.2\sas.exe -nosyntaxcheck";

rsubmit outtsk2 wait=no;

libname tt 'F:\SASALM';

data tt.want;

input name $ no;

cards;

test 12

want 23

ravi 44

;

run;

endrsubmit;

signoff outtsk2;

Thanks,

Shiva

Hima
Obsidian | Level 7
  • You can create a profile in SAS EG by clicking on "No profile selected" on the bottom right hand side corner of the tool.
  • A window pops up. Click on Add.
  • Another window pops up and will ask you for details like Name, Description,  Machine, port, User, Password and authentication domain.
  • Enter all those details and click on Save.
  • Click on Set active.

This connects you to the server. Once connected successfully. Run the code begininning with the line RSUBMIT <SERVERNAME>; and end the code with ENDRSUBMIT;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation