BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
UCFAngel
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to create a prompt in the Prompt Manager of EG that is of type 'File or directory' but my Local Server does not appear in the Server drop-down. Is this the desired behavior of EG?

Is there a way that I could create a prompt for the user to select the input file to use from their local machine since the name of the file changes each term?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I have an impression that it is NOT a "prompt" question, rather, it is a data access problem. EG can be either run either locally on your PC or on a remote SAS workspace server(you only have EG client on your PC), my guess is that your EG belongs to latter, otherwise, you wouldn't have to ask this question.

In this case, EG would NOT recognize your local drive automatically.  If you want to share some of your local data with your EG session, you would need to put them on somewhere that the SAS server can 'see'. This will bring up further questions, is your SAS server running on Unix/Windows/other? If Unix, you could use SAMBA drive to host your shared data; Windows will have different form of network drive.

Chris has a blog discussing a EG utility that can "copy files in between local and remote session", you may also find it useful:

There and back again: copying files in SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

HTH,

Haikuo

UCFAngel
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for the information and link. When I expand my Server List in EG, I do have access to my Local Server and its Libraries and Files. I am on Win7 64-bit and the server is running Windows Enterprise 2003 64-bit. Thus, I assumed that since I can see the files in the server list I should be able to select the Local server from the drop-down when I try to add a prompt of type File or directory.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I see. That is the way it is for EG. The reason for that (my guess) is that the process is run on server and will be run on server, all of the data referenced is registered on in the metadata. Bottom line is that EG is server centered, This is to safeguard that your code/package/stp will run regardless of your PC condition.  If you need data on your local drive, you will have to have it mapped and registered in metadata.

Haikuo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation