Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Error on sending SAS dataset (*.sas7bdat) to E-mail recipient

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Error on sending SAS dataset (*.sas7bdat) to E-mail recipient

Hello,

I use EG 4.3 and when I send a dataset to E_mail recipient using SAS Data Files (V7 Long Name) (*.sas7bdat) from Select Format window, the following error is displayed:

An error occured saving the file. No Server Available.

If I select Microsoft Excel97-2003 Workbooks (*.xls) then E-mail goes without any problems.

What could be the cause?

SAS in running on the server.

Sincerely,
SPR
Respected Advisor

Re: Error on sending SAS dataset (*.sas7bdat) to E-mail recipient

Hi

I'm partly guessing here but believe the following is going into the right direction:

Are you using "send to / email recipient...."? And is your excel saved "locally"?

If so then I believe the email is sent using your PC's .net components. This worked even on my laptop where I haven't set-up any email for SAS (and none of my SAS Server got "started').

When it comes to .sas7bdat files then I assume these files are stored on the server. In order to send them via email I would assume one would have to choose "send to / email recipient as step in project..." and then I would expect that code gets generated where the SAS server is going to send the email (using SAS' email engine).

When choosing "send to / email recipient...." then I assume what happens is that the .sas7bdat file first need to be downloaded to the client using something like "proc download". In order to do that one needs also a local SAS installed (Server local) - and that's probabely what you don't have and gives you the error "No Server available".

Again: I'm only guessing here but believe that the issue is caused by something along these lines.

HTH
Patrick Message was edited by: Patrick
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hello Patrick,

It is very useful as an insight into internal mechanics of EG 4.3 sending E-mail. The one point I would like to clarify. You wrote: "And is your excel saved "locally"?".

I send the same dataset but use different formats (Excel or native SAS):

Assume the file name is test.sas7bdat from work library. In EG I open this file, select "Send To E-mail Recipient". Then in the "Select Format" window I select either "Microsoft Excel 97-2003 workbooks (*.xls)" (this works fine) or "SAS Data Files (V7 Long Name) (*.sas7bdat)" (this produces the above mentioned error).

So it looks for me that in both cases file is sent "not locally" or I'm wrong?

Sincerely,
SPR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hello,

Our admin told me that this error is due to expired local version of PC SAS and recommended to uninstall it. This action had several consequences:

1. The "Select Format" window opened by "Send to E-mail Recipient" does not contain SAS Data File format any more.
2. "Send to E-Mail recipient as a Step in Project" opens "Send" wizard and on clicking "Next" displays the error:

Local SAS is required for sending a SAS Data File to an email recipient.

Chris, it is strange that EG can send a bunch of differnt formats except native SAS files, is not it?

Sincerely,
SPR
Community Manager

EG doesn't have a feature to write a .sas7bdat file to a local location without using SAS to do it. That's why you need local SAS.

But you can use Tasks->Data-Download SAS Data Set to bring a remote SAS data set to your local drive. However, there isn't a way to then send that via e-mail attachment from within EG. You'll need to use another process to achieve that.

Chris
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation