Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

Error on dataset name after import

Occasional Learner

Error on dataset name after import

[ Edited ]

I am a new student to SAS Enterprise Guide. I  have imported an excel file to the program. However when I go to click on the query builder, I get an error message of 'unable to parse dataset name. Parameter name: dataSet.' I have no idea what this means but it seems to be making some of the functions in the query builder not work quite right. A friend who downloaded and then imported this same file does not get this message. I would appreciate any knowledge on how to fix this. 

Super User

Re: Error on dataset name after import

What did you name the dataset? Post snapshots of your import. 

You can try running the following code, add a program and submit it. Then retry import and see if you have issues.

Options validvarname = V7;

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Error on dataset name after import

Along the same lines as @Reeza's suggestion, as an alternative to setting validvarname=v7, you could just try ensuring the output data set name in the Import Wizard doesn't contain any non-standard characters (ex. no spaces, doesn't start with a number, etc.).  Guessing you may have a space in your Excel file name, which results in a space in the imported data set name, which is throwing off the Query Builder.

Another thing I would check is to make sure you have the latest hotfix for whatever version of EG you are running.  You can check and download latest hotfixes from here:

http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/94_all_hosts.html#E

Casey

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation