Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

ERROR when importing a txt file, any clues?

Frequent Contributor

ERROR when importing a txt file, any clues?

Hi all,

I encounter this type of error (see attached) when i am trying to import (via menu and import wizard) a txt file into EG.

I havent had this problem before so i am kinda stuck.

Thank you in advance.

error.png
Super User

Re: ERROR when importing a txt file, any clues?

It means that your text file contains UTF-16 characters that cannot be transcoded (converted) to the wlatin1 encoding that your SAS session (workspace server) is configured in.

You either need to set up the workspace server so that it uses UTF encoding, or convert those special characters in the text file before you submit it to the import task.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Frequent Contributor

OK, how can i do the first option? because when colleagues import the same exact file with the same licensed software they dont encounter this error.

Kind regards

Super User

Look closely at your error message, it hints at what needs to be set.

See the documentation for the NLS system options.

While LOCALE= can be changed dynamically, ENCODING= needs to be set at session start, either via commandline (can be set in the metadata or USERMODS_OPTIONS in WorkspaceServer_usermods.sh) or in the config file (sasv9_usermods.cfg).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Frequent Contributor

Any good example on doing that?

Community Manager

As a quick workaround, try applying the option on the Advanced tab, "Remove characters that can cause transmission errors..."

trans.jpg

Frequent Contributor

I have tried that but the result is the same, thank you both for your input, i think i will have to do it via commandline

Kind regards

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation