BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
In 4.1, we could assign permanent libnames on (Local) using a point-and-click approach. That facility appears to have disappeared in 4.2. I'd like to have it back, as I have users who do not know how to write a single line of SAS Code.

[I know I can do it through tools --> options --> SAS Programs, but it would be cleaner for learners to have the point-and-click capability returned.]
9 REPLIES 9
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Doc,

With EG 4.1 and earlier, we had an "EG repository" that could store information such as server connections and libraries. With EG 4.2 that went away -- now we use only the SAS metadata server for this information.

For local-only deployments, this means that we don't have local repository for these definitions. The only alternatives right now are to use an autoexec or the SAS Programs option you mentioned, or use the project library task under the Tools menu -- but that's a per-project operation.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Technolero
Pyrite | Level 9
A colleague of mine started screaming about the lack of "permanent" local libraries after five minutes of using 4.2. He wanted a local library available no matter what project he was working in.

Our solution is simple and seems to work in our environment with modifying the autoexec. We accomplish this by opening EG 4.2, going to Tools menu --> Options --> SAS Programs and checking "Submit SAS code when server is connected". We then click the associated Edit button, we add a libname statement (e.g. libname foo 'd:\data';) under the "/* Insert custom code after server connection here */" line in the edit dialog box.

Now the foo library is available to any project after my colleague logs in because the libname statement essentially runs when he connects to the workspace server.
Jerry
Fluorite | Level 6
While searching for information about permanent libnames in EG 4.2, I saw several references to autoexec.bat files. Is there a way to associate an autoexec.bat (sas) file to EG so that it executes the commands in the autoexec file when EG is launched?
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Check out this tip:

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Tips:User_Specific_Autoexecs_in_Enterprise_Guide

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
RichardH_sas
SAS Employee
The Tools / Options trick is a good one to know about. In EG 4.2, this information is stored in a file on the user's operating system, EGOptions.xml. An administrator can set values (such as some code for libraries) and then distribute this customized version of EGOptions.xml as part of the client installation process. Useful for stuff like this.
jklein271
Calcite | Level 5
This thread was extremely useful. I needed to add 4 "development" libraries to my Local server in 4.2. Utilizing the Tool / Options trick, I was able to utilize global macro variables to logically assign the libnames based on server and user. However, I can't find this EGOptions.xml file so that I can pass it on to the SAS Admin to include in the installation process. I've looked in the 4.2 folder and searched all .xml's in the entire SAS folder. Any ideas?

Here is my logic limited to just me for testing purposes. I'll open it up to my other team members once I figure out where this .xml is.

/*SAS Development Library Assignment*/

%macro dev_library_logic;

%if &_SASSERVERNAME.='Local' and &_CLIENTUSERID.='jklein' %then %do;

%let develop_path=\\pmw2kseg001\nemesise\SASPermanentLibs\Shared;

libname PRMASTER "&develop_path.\PractitionerMaster";
libname SAMPLE "&develop_path.\Sample";
libname UNIVERSE "&develop_path.\Universe";
libname VAULT "&develop_path.\Vault";

%end;

%mend dev_library_logic;

%dev_library_logic
jklein271
Calcite | Level 5
Sorry. Didn't realize it was in the user app data area. Thanks.

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\4.2
jklein271
Calcite | Level 5
Last question about EGOptions.xml I swear. So say we have gone through all of the options in EG 4.2 that we want users to start with for the first install. I get that we include the xml in the initial deployment and they are good to go. However, if we want to change something like the code when the server connects, what is the best way to do this? Do we just push a new version of the xml to the C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\4.2 directory or is there a way to drive the Options update from the metadata profile update setup?
RichardH_sas
SAS Employee
If you're updating the connection profile (machine name, port, etc.) there is a setting to automatically check for updates against the server. See details here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/enclient/61192/HTML/default/a002117636.htm

For general updates to the EG Options, I think it would be a process of manually re-pushing the XML file to the appropriate location. Others may have alternate suggestions. Using %include statements could be a sneaky way in the EG options of allowing an admin to update the code as needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation