BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi,

In EG 7.13, I'm having a problem with autocomplete.

I have it set to autocomplete on third character.

If I type:

proc sort data=sashelp.class out

it brings up the autocomplete dropdown to complete out and defaults to out=

Ignoring the autocomplete, I type an = and the code autocompletes to:

proc sort data=sashelp.class outout=

So it looks like typing = is being taken as accepting the autocomplete suggestion, and it's duplicating instead of duplicating.  Only seems to happen when the word I'm typing is three characters long.  If I double click an option in the autocomplete suggestion, it still fails to replace the out which I typed, so if I click out2, I end up with outout2= .

If I set to autcomplete on second character, I have the same problem with two character words.  That is, if I type in= I will get inin= .

Thanks,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Thanks @Quentin!  That was the missing clue.  I am now able to reproduce (which greatly increases our ability to debug and potentially fix the issue).  I will enter it into our tracking system.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi Quentin,

I'm not able to reproduce in EG 7.13 HF5 using your steps.  Have you changed other Autocomplete options other than "Autocomplete on: Third character" (in Program->Editor Options...->Autocomplete tab)?  What specific version of EG 7.13 are you using (version in Help->About box)?

Casey

Quentin
Super User

Thanks @CaseySmith.  I'm using 7.13 HF3 (7.100.3.5438) (64-bit) .

I don't think I've changed anything else, except for turning off the option to commit on spacebar.  My settings look like:

EGautocomplete.PNG

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Thanks @Quentin.  I made sure my options matched exactly, but I still can't reproduce.  One of our developers (who supports the editor) is also attempting to reproduce and looking into.

Quentin
Super User

Thanks @CaseySmith  .  I realized I missed an obvious clue.  In the session, I have a libref named OUT (and also a libref named IN).

So in a new EG session, I don't have the problem unless I run that libname statement.

With it set to autocomplete after three characters, I  can replicate it with just:

libname out "%sysfunc(pathname(work))" ;

proc sort data=sashelp.class out

First, execute the libname statement.  Then if you delete the token OUT on the proc sort and type out=, I get outout=. 

If it doesn't do it the first time, please just delete out=

and then type out= a second time.  For me, it happens consistently after the first time.

Sorry I didn't think of this.  OUT is one of my standard libraries.  I'm working on a remote terminal server.  Not sure if they updated the version of EG recently. I've been working on this box for a few months, I think I would have noticed this before, as I always have IN and OUT librares, and often code in= and out=. 

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Thanks @Quentin!  That was the missing clue.  I am now able to reproduce (which greatly increases our ability to debug and potentially fix the issue).  I will enter it into our tracking system.

Casey

Quentin
Super User

Thanks @CaseySmith.  Sorry I didn't think of my OUT library sooner.  Appreciate the confirmation that I'm not seeing things that aren't there. : )

Otto
Calcite | Level 5

I have had this same problem for a very long time.  I typically noticed it with the word "data".

If I were trying to type out a set statement and I said something like

proc sort data=

it would actually show up in the editor like this as soon as I hit the equals sign

proc sort datadata=

However, thanks to @Quentin's post, I have at least identified that the issue is tied to using libname statements like 

libname data '/path/to/lib';

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common library name for me.  I'm going to stop using it until this bug is fixed, but it will still be there in other people's code that I have to work with.  Has been happening since at least EG 5

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation