BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SSiler
Fluorite | Level 6

While not new to programming, I am recently new to using EG.  I am using EG 5.1 connected to a Linux box running SAS 9.3.

When creating programs using the program editor in EG I have not been able to find a way to keep the results from previous code snippet runs in the same Results window for comparison purposes.  In my Windows world I typically run a datastep, do a sample proc print, change something in datastep, run and sample print, and then leisurely scroll up and down to compare the two samples.

My question is, how do you more experienced EG users handle this issue of being able to compare the different sets of results (and log files for dataset counts, for instance) without being able to scroll them?

Thanks in advance for your answers.  And, wow, while typing this question SAS Support Communities notfied me that I have earned the rank of New User 🙂

Stephen

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Did you know that you can split your editor and log window?  See my (old but relevant) blog post here.

For looking at logs across program runs, you can turn on the EG Project Log -- then use the split window trick to look at different segments.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SSiler
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Chris, thanks for responding.  I did implement your tip to split the windows.  However, it seems that I am still only seeing in the split windows the results of the most recent code snippet run - ie - my previous log window results have been cleared and replaced with the new results.  Of course, I may be missing something key using your tip.

Also, I'm in the process now of migrating from EG 5.1 to 7.1, if this makes any difference.

Thanks again for responding. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I use PROC COMPARE as one of my main tools for comparing the results of SAS jobs. If the underlying datasets between runs are identical then the only difference in outputs / reports is mostly going to be in the layout, formatting and filtering.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

First step has to be "Turn on the Project Log", which will retain your log output for every step that you run.  Select View->Project Log from the main menu to get started.  After you click "Turn on", all log output will be collected here.  You can always select View->Project Log from the menu, or click the Project Log button from the top of any Log window.

Then you can compare the historical results using the split window feature:

plog.png

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Great idea from @ChrisHemedinger. Just be careful though with using the project log. If you are running very large programs then you need to clear the project log regularly otherwise EG performance can be impacted.

I tend to do things differently when testing very large SAS programs - I find it easier and more convenient to run them in batch mode.

SSiler
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris and SASKiwi!  At the moment I am EG-less as my attempt to migrate yesterday from 5.1 to 7.1 has failed numerous times; our IT dept is working on it.  As soon as I get the opportunity I will try your suggestions.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation