Desktop productivity for business analysts and programmers

EG 7.13 not detecting external git repository via SASApp server

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

EG 7.13 not detecting external git repository via SASApp server

At my department, we have configured SAS server (SASApp), to have File navigation set to a specific path (let's say: "P:/path"). Hence, in EG, after connecting to the server profile, the Files section under the SASApp server shows the folders under P:/path. This path contains a project folder "Project", which contains a SAS script (e.g. "P:/path/Project/script.sas"). The project folder also contains a git repository (e.g. "P:/path/Project/.git"), which tracks the changes to script.sas. Using the command line, I can do all my git work.

I expected that when I am editing and running the script through EG, it would be able to detect any changes, show the history and commit the changes using the buttons in the editing window. However, pressing any of these buttons yields the error message "Program History Unavailable: The current program is nto contained within a GIT repository. To use this feature please embed the program or move it to an extern GIT repository."

Strangely, these buttons do work when I open an external script that is located on a different networked drive (e.g. "S:/otherpath/otherproject/otherscript.sas") which is not located in the Files section under the SASApp server, but which I can access via File --> Open --> Program.

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-01-2017 09:12 AM
Community Manager

Re: EG 7.13 not detecting external git repository via SASApp server

Posted in reply to wpdonders

Alas, EG does not detect a Git repo on a remote SAS server.  It works only with cloned repos that you've got stored locally on your Windows machine (or a Windows network location accessed from your local machine).

The workaround would be to use Git to clone the repo onto your local machine instead of accessing via the Files node on the SASApp server.  Not ideal, I know.  I think that R&D has improvements on their to-do list and that @CaseySmith (R&D lead for EG) has commented on this before.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎09-01-2017 09:12 AM
Community Manager

Alas, EG does not detect a Git repo on a remote SAS server.  It works only with cloned repos that you've got stored locally on your Windows machine (or a Windows network location accessed from your local machine).

The workaround would be to use Git to clone the repo onto your local machine instead of accessing via the Files node on the SASApp server.  Not ideal, I know.  I think that R&D has improvements on their to-do list and that @CaseySmith (R&D lead for EG) has commented on this before.

New Contributor

Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger

It's unfortunate my desired workflow is not supported, but thanks for the fast reply.

SAS Super FREQ

Chris is correct.  And yes, we do have plans to add support for this scenario in a future release.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation