BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wpdonders
Calcite | Level 5

At my department, we have configured SAS server (SASApp), to have File navigation set to a specific path (let's say: "P:/path"). Hence, in EG, after connecting to the server profile, the Files section under the SASApp server shows the folders under P:/path. This path contains a project folder "Project", which contains a SAS script (e.g. "P:/path/Project/script.sas"). The project folder also contains a git repository (e.g. "P:/path/Project/.git"), which tracks the changes to script.sas. Using the command line, I can do all my git work.

I expected that when I am editing and running the script through EG, it would be able to detect any changes, show the history and commit the changes using the buttons in the editing window. However, pressing any of these buttons yields the error message "Program History Unavailable: The current program is nto contained within a GIT repository. To use this feature please embed the program or move it to an extern GIT repository."

Strangely, these buttons do work when I open an external script that is located on a different networked drive (e.g. "S:/otherpath/otherproject/otherscript.sas") which is not located in the Files section under the SASApp server, but which I can access via File --> Open --> Program.

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Alas, EG does not detect a Git repo on a remote SAS server.  It works only with cloned repos that you've got stored locally on your Windows machine (or a Windows network location accessed from your local machine).

The workaround would be to use Git to clone the repo onto your local machine instead of accessing via the Files node on the SASApp server.  Not ideal, I know.  I think that R&D has improvements on their to-do list and that @CaseySmith (R&D lead for EG) has commented on this before.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Alas, EG does not detect a Git repo on a remote SAS server.  It works only with cloned repos that you've got stored locally on your Windows machine (or a Windows network location accessed from your local machine).

The workaround would be to use Git to clone the repo onto your local machine instead of accessing via the Files node on the SASApp server.  Not ideal, I know.  I think that R&D has improvements on their to-do list and that @CaseySmith (R&D lead for EG) has commented on this before.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
wpdonders
Calcite | Level 5

It's unfortunate my desired workflow is not supported, but thanks for the fast reply.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Chris is correct.  And yes, we do have plans to add support for this scenario in a future release.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation