BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CameronLawson
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All,
I am finding EG 4.3 to be very slow in rendering, typing into and opening code windows, opening datasets and tasks. It is noticeably different to 4.1. I don't think the issue is server based as cpu, memory and real time are all ok.

Does anyone know of any available documentation on different performance tuning steps our sys admins can perform? I have tried some steps including turning off autocomplete, and limiting the number of rows returned etc. but to no avail.

Cheers in advance
5 REPLIES 5
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
It might be that your system is not quite optimized for WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation), which the new editor uses. Is this Windows XP? It doesn't affect all XP machines, but when we hear about it, it's almost always Windows XP (or Windows Sever 2003, which is the XP server version.)

We've prepared some guidance to try here:
http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/blog/WPF_SASEG43.pdf

Most customers find the performance is better after updating the display driver. See the link above for details.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
CameronLawson
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for the advice Chris.

All of our users are running XP however they all have hardware acceleration. I tested the turning off of tabs and changing to open type fonts and found at least on my machine an improvement.

I'll keep researching and hopefully come up with some answers.

Thanks again.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Checking the display driver is really important. Even if you *think* you've got a recent driver, it's best to check your current version, and cross-check that with the latest available from your hardware manufacturer.

For on-board graphics adapters from big PC companies like Dell or HP, look at the latest information for your service tag or exact PC model to make sure you have the latest.

Following those steps did help to solve the issue for many of our customers.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I had my own issues with EGuide performance; see my recent thread in this forum. It turned out that I had an invalid default metadatserver configuration, referencing a metadata server hostname that was no longer valid. This resulted in frequent 20s timeouts.

I have resolved this by running ITCONFIG2.EXE (See \program files\sas\shared files\...) to reconfigure the default metadata server. Maybe this also applies to your problem as it seems similar in some aspects.

Also have a look at SAS note #17730 on setting up detailed logging in Eguide. It helped me a lot.

Regards, Jan.
CameronLawson
Obsidian | Level 7
The metadata server is a fresh configuration. We have literally had 9.2 for a week. I'll definitely look at the logging feature however. Thanks for the advice

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation